The 2 years old BH is on the top of a small hill and when you are up on the rooftop area you can see the most beautiful view ever.
With lots of virgin jungle surrounded by palm oil trees it took my breath away.
The owner wanted my opinion on the location.
"What do you think about this location Pak Harry." he asked.
With the big greenaries and lots of birds flying on the rooftop I have to admit to him about my sincere opinion.
"Dr, my sincere opinion is that if your BH is properly designed and with all the necessary internal features you should be able to get 300 - 500 nests within a year. This looks like an ideal spot plus the fact that there are no competitors around you." I replied.
He was very pleased to hear from my mouth.
I think he wanted a professional guy with lots of experience to provide him with the confident.
His BH was put into operation about 2 years ago.
The number of nests so far was below 50 pieces.
A few months back it was attacked by owls.
He must have read about my article on how to use those cables to reduce the entrance size of big birds from entering the main entrance holes.
His worker installed about three - four wires from top to bottom about 8" apart.
This seems to work and those owls stop entering his BH.
After my inspection works I prepare a list of things which I told him will help to quickly populate his BH.
1) The monkey house areas needs a bit more external sound tweeters. I sketched how those tweeters should be arranged at all the three entrance holes.
2) I suggested on the installation of a proper hexagonal tweeters and how and where to precisely installed them. Currently his workers installed a DIY unit and at the back part of the monkey house. I told him to replace with a properly design hexagonal tweeter that can cover a 360* orientation.
3) The top most floor was a bit too bright. This was mainly due to two openings (entrance holes). Due to the bright light many of those bird shit markings on the floor are not producing nests or event saliva markings. My explanation to the BH owner was these uncomfortable feeling of these couples when the place they stayed at night are too bright during the day time. I suggested the idea of splitting the BH into two portions. One the top most floor using the back entrance holem while the lower floors to concentrate on the main entrance tunnel system.
4) All the floors were without any room. Wide open except for a short partition blocking the light at the main entrance hole. I sketched a few drawings with appropriate partitions to lure those swiftlet to hide inside the VIP rooms.
5) I could not keep my feeling about how those internal sound tweeters were installed. They are simply not swiftlet friendly. I told the owner that every internal sound tweeter is like a bed to these young couples and we must not make life difficult for them to cling on it. My recommendation on these matter was to relocate them and be more friendly.
6) The external sound tweeters were only at the monkey house areas and the LAL but not at the back of the nesting rooms. A common mistakes and I advice how and where they should be extended.
7) This BH was installed with this big mist maker imported direct from China. However due to some suspicion on the part of the owner both were switched off. The owner came to know that those ultrasonic sound produced by the humidifier mist making plates will shoo his birds away. I told him not to my knowledge. He should reactivate them but use a humidistat instead of a timer.
8) I introduced to the owner about those polystyrene fake nests. Drew the shapes and told his maintenance guy how to installed them. The best is to be as closed as possible to the internal sound tweeters and those 90* corners. Removed those corner woods that faces the flying in path. Once remove install the 90* shape polystyrene fake nests.
9) My next proposition was to use those super pheromone on every fake nests installed. This special smell pheromone will easily encore those young couples.
10) The most exciting event during my visit was when I tested my external sounds. The best performed was the Pukau 2 Rev and Super Vacuum. The owner quickly ask me for a copy. He promised not to use the two sounds until the revamp works are done.
11) I insisted that the internal sound be changed to SuperBabyKing. He agreed and it was change on the spot.
I hope to be regularly invited by the BH owner to drop by and see how the repair are done and maintained.
What I know was that the owner was very grateful with my visit and he agreed to follow my recommendation 100%.
I am sure my small contribution is good for his BH.
My wish is that once the BH is revamped and a new set of sounds is played the number of nests will multiplied in the shortest possible time.
Best of luck to him.