This BH was once doing very well according to the owner and his son.
What happened next is simply uncalled for and very sad.
The number of nests went up to almost 200 nests.
During one of the harvest the collected nests were sold at RM 3000/kg.
The owners son took the task to built the BH and at the same time maintain the BH.
Then came a couple of unwanted visitors, the owls.
This causes some havoc and a number of these visitors were shot but they continue to come.
The more they were killed the more new owls will come to the it.
I told them that this is a kind of curse or Taboo to shot and kill them.
The more you kill there will be more that will replace them.
The best is to stop them from entering the BH using traps or perhaps electrical shock wires.
While trying to kill more of these owls, they invite someone with gun permit, the sound system went dead.
The owner was using this old designed amplifiers imported from a neighboring country.
The moment it went down there was no way to find a new one for immediate replacement.
They were not aware of replacing the whole amplifier with those commonly found amplifiers.
The sounds were embedded in its hard disc and no one knows how to extract them from the spoiled unit.
When the nest price drop to below rm 1000/kg the BH was abandoned.
The owls wins and the owner loss in a epic battle.
The BH was left stranded for almost 1.5 years.
It was revisited a few months back and some sound was installed.
However the owl remains.
Nothing was done to prevent these owl to stay and start a family inside the BH.
During my inspection I was given the golden opportunity to capture a clip of one owl flying out of the main entrance hole.
While inspecting the entrance area I found a cluster of 4 eggs.
The owl that flew out was incubating the four eggs.
After the visit I set down with the father and son writing my visit report.
They were very happy with my recommendations and I hope they will follow all the recommendations made.
These were my recommendations:
1) They need to firstly stop the owls from entering the BH.
2) They need to clean all those owls shit markings and their vomit from the BH. If possible try to trap the mother owl that will visit the BH again to incubate the 4 eggs.
3) The BH need to be "Sterilized" by applying some fermented bird shit and sea weeds.
4) The BH should have a hexagonal tweeters and it must be precisely located.
5) A set of external sound tweeters need to be installed at the main entrance hole. Total number of tweeters is 10 units.
6) The top floor need some kind of partitions with suitable doors about 3 feet wide. I sketched the precise locations.
7) On the these two doors a set of external sound tweeters must be mounted facing the birds flying in direction.
8) The BH nesting planks are not well arranged. The number of wood crossing need to be increased.
9) Internal sound tweeters to be increased to about 150 pieces per floor. They must be facing the flying in path.
10) The internal sound tweeters must be precisely installed and must not be too far from the 90* corners.
11) Once done I recommended the installation of fake nests made from styrofoam. These styrofoam fake nests must be both the 90* corner shape and the rectangular shape. They must be precisely installed.
12) The sound system must be upgraded and this time around try to use a simple and easy to buy sets. One for the external sound and two for the internal sound.
13) The external sound and internal sounds will be chosen during the testing operation.
14) The internal sound amplifiers must be running from 7:45pm to 7:00 am and from 7:00 am till 7:45 pm. Use a auto switcher to operate the two amplifiers.
15) The LAL perimeter areas need a number of external sound tweeters. I sketched where they should be placed.
16) External sound chocolate tweeters were recommended to pull those birds to the back of the room.
17) The BH humidity can be raised by watering the wall and the floor of this small BH during every visit.
18) The empty land opposite the BH should be properly used by planting papaya trees. Once they start fruiting they should used the ripe papaya to generate fruit flies.
I plan to keep in touch with them and see what else I can do to help them to keep those owls away and at the same time make sure the BH is back into operation.
Once these modifications are done I promised to come again with a set of my sounds.
Will carry out the sound test and perhaps select the best sound to activate the BH.
This is the only way to get the BH going and try to recover the amount of money invested so far.