Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

How To Choose The Right Sound System For Your Birdhouse !!!


If you want to make sure that your birdhouse is successful, you need to seriously look at the total sound system that you have selected and installed.

Poor quality systems will automatically results in poor sound that will not attract those birds inside.

Nowadays there are so many types of sound players, amplifiers, tweeters and various types of cables, you will get a bit confused which is better then the other. What more when you do not have any idea what is the best for your birdhouse.

I am a bit fortunate to meet so many BH owners and each of them have their own selection criteria which in some sense are right. Something that is right to them might not be right to you.

If I am given the right to make a decision, I will do the followings:

1) Internal sound system.

First I will select the most appropriate tweeters (piezo type) that will give me a very clear sound of the colony and baby birds sound. I want these tweeters to mimic those sound clearly so that I can cheat the new tenant that they are safe and all their "friends" are busy chatting away and the babies keep crying for food. I will not use those low quality RM1/tweeters that I believed will last not more then a few short months.

I will calculate the total number of tweeters to be installed based on the square meters of those nesting areas multiply by at least 1.5. Let assume that I have a shoplot with 20' X 70' = 1400 square feet = 140 square meters (roughtly). The minimum number of tweeters will be 140 X 1.5 = 210.

Now I need to locate the right amplifier that can deliver adequate electrical signals to all these tweeters, clear as a crystal and not one louder then the other. Some amplifiers can only deliver up to 100 tweeters so I will make the right choice to ensure that all my tweeters are functional.



Well what about having an amplifier that can served more then 300 tweeters and have at least three mode of sound imput? You need to choose one that can use those thumb drives, the CD players and of course the memory cards. Hmm sound very interesting.

What about the ability to play the left and the right side wires without interrupting the other? Hmm this is getting a bit too technical but let me do some explaination.

Nowadays, the amplifier technology are so advance that the are manufactured based on what you want. If you have, let say a memory cards, that have two separate sounds in one, such as the baby sound and the colony sound, you can play on these new generations amplifier with ease. They are designed to split the sound into two chambers and sent one to the right side and the other to the left side.

See I told you, you are learning new things everyday ............

So in a 4 meters X 4 meters colony devider, you can place those tweeters running on the colony sound on the perimeter of the devider and you can place the baby bird sound in the middle of the devider. Are you with me??????

Then again, what kind of wire cable that can do this high precision delivery of those electrical pulses to those tweeters? Oh oh, you need to find and use the right one. No cheap and unreliable cable should be used. You make the choice.

What about the number of amplifiers that you need to use? You need at least two amplifiers to run on alternate basis during the 24 hours operation period. If you use only one, you will have the only amplifier spoilt in no time. You need to install a kind of timer to alternate the two amplifiers choosing a period of let say 2 hours gaps. While one is in operation the other rest and cool down.......

What happen if during the changing of sound your amplifier runs both simultanously? You are going to scare those tenant of yours and in no time no birds will stay in. So be carefull and do not let this to happen.....

2) External Sound...

This is the key in bringging in those wild birds into your BH. The most important is the type of tweeters that you choose, how many of them and where they are located.

I will look at a tweeter that can deliver a crytal clear sound that will be heard at least a few kilometers away (by the birds and not by human ear please). I will place them facing the sky and the number and orientation of placement will ensure every birds that passes my BH will hear my BH sexy sound.

My next mission is to draw those birds in from the top of my BH roof into the house and draw them to the far end of the house so that they will have a better look or survey of my BH. So a set of tweeters shall be placed along the walls which will pull the birds in and toward an a strategically located tweeter blasting those same external sound.

The amplifiers and the numbers shall be similar criterias choosen for the internal however the number of tweeters affected is not more then 20 pieces.


Well my friend, I will not make any specific recommendations on the models that I prefer but if you wish to know, please call Harry at 017 755 1318.

No comments: