Search This Blog

Friday, April 9, 2010

An Innovative Swiftlet Farmer With A Strong Objective Of Pulling His Neighbor's Young Birds !!!



A few good weeks ago I was invited to visit a newly build BH in Johore.

One of the owner wanted me to give some comments so that he can increase the number of birds staying in his BH.

He seem to be very enthusiastic about learning at I was quite surprised with his level of knowledge in swiftlet farming.

Though he got lots of knowledge, he told me that he still need to have some advises and guides from someone like me.

Well since I got this special opportunity I started to look at his unique BH internally and externally.



The BH was a stand alone located on a piece of agricultural land.

The was another stand alone BH just about 20 meters away and have been in operation for almost 5 years. The number of tenants in this house was said to be reasonable.

The new BH uses double entry type ie. the side and top entries located in the middle of the house.

After my half a day CSI works I provided him with the line of actions that he can benefits from his BH surrounding and internal improvements.



I told him that he should give as much attention to the neighbor's BH who is currently producing a good number of young birds every breeding cycle.

We looked at the old frail looking BH with no heat protection shield and no roof (heat shield) I told him that if he can ensure that his house is superior in quality internally he will be able to capture all those young birds across.

Based on what the owner did, nothing infact, in protecting his BH from the hot sun, I have a very strong feeling that the BH is pretty hot inside.

I was told that the sound used by the neighbor was the same sound from day one. Hmm how interesting ........



I guided him with the remodeling of his internals with the VIP room and additional tweeters.

More external sounds were placed at some strategic locations to pull those young birds into the VIP room.

The use of soundless humidifiers was introduced to him.

The bird shit smell was increased using those ammonia bicarbonates.

The protection of external walls from direct evening sunlight was already done.

The surrounding tall trees need to be taken down.

The water pond just in front of the BH should be expanded to perhaps the size of a badminton court, I told him.

He got a good talent in the collection of external and internal sounds. He also have a very good ideas on how to clean and profiled those sounds effectively.

We discussed about the use of different sets of sounds at different time of the day or the week.

He currently have put together a 22 hrs of nonstop sounds with about 12 different sounds in one to be played as his internal sound. I was pretty excited on this new idea and have never before thought about doing this.

As for the external sound he seem to have a good collection of sounds. Among all the people that I have met, in swiftlet farming, he has the largest number of sounds in his library. Yes a couple of hundreds and he will be getting more from Batam and Minado soon.

After operating the house for almost a year the number of nests in his new BH now have touched 200 plus.

With my new ideas using the VIP room concepts, I think he can get those numbers multiplied by at least 2. He can also determined where to populate the birds with minimum cost.

I am glad to know that there are those who are learning fast from my blog and came out with their own brand of ideas.

All in all he seem to be happy to share his library of sounds and exchange some ideas that he got from his own researches.

He is planning to visit a few swiftlet havens in Indonesia this coming month of May 2010 and wanted me to join him during the trip.

I am pretty excited to see new things and can put a good report to all my blog readers. Who knows we might meet someone who uses bamboo leaves to call those birds into their BHs?.......









No comments: