Search This Blog

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Interesting Questions and A Tale Of Going To Fail BH Owner !!!

Well since my eyes are still not tired I would like to write about two messages that I think can make you learn something.

The first email came from Pattani, Thailand. He wrote in Malay and I translated into English in brackets:

Pak Harry, Saya Anwar dari Patani Thailand.  Saya ada masalah tentang rumah burong saya.
(Pak Harry, my name is Anuar and I am from Patani, Thailand.  I have a strange problems in my BH.)

Rumah saya sudah operasi tigatahun sarang didalam 200 lebih sarang.
(My Bh have been in operation for 3 years and have about 200 plus nests.)

Masaalah saya kerana apa anak piyek dirumah saya selalu jatuh mati iaitu anak merah dan yang sudah
(My strange problem is that those baby birds are always on the floor, fell down from their nests, the red colored,)
ada bulu. Tiap kali anak burung menetas tiap kali ada anakburong mati dalam jumlah 10-20 eror
(and those with feathers. This happened nearly every breeding cycle with about 10 to 20 chicks)
Saya harap pakHarry dapat bantu saya.
(I hope Pak Harry can help me)

So what do you think is the main cause that those young chicks to jump out of their nests?

I strongly believed that there is something in BH that is scaring the birds away or trying to ascape from a kind of bitting from a predator.

The most probable is Geckos. Geckos are  giant house lizards. They can be as big as your thumb and more then 10 inches long.  They eat swiftlet eggs and baby birds.

I remembered when I entered a BH in Pekan Sedeli in Johore about 6 -7 months ago.

I saw the exact situation where there were many young birds lying of the floor.  I told the owner that there must be a Gecko in the house.  The moment he shine his torchlight to the ceiling, yes there was a big Geckos on the nesting plank.  In a split of a second it runs hiding in between those planks. The owner smiled at me as if giving me the credit for being so smart.

I was right and I told the owner that if he do not remove that Geckos, there will be more life baby birds on the floor.

The next strange email was  from someone who will joint the Failure Club:

Good day Pak Harry,
Following our teleconversation, attached is the sketch plan of my new BH which started construction on 25th Mar 2010.
Regret to only found out your blog recently and after reading it days & nights, I am starting to wonder if my BH properly designed & I am begging for your precious advices.
Also please do advice on the sound system for my BH, I am pretty sure to purchase the whole sound package from Pak Harry, however, please don't "extra charge" me because of such confirmation to purchase from you... hehe jk.
A quotation would be nice which include all the soundless humidifier, hexa tweeter & etc.
Btw, I am still not sure about the location & design of the VIP room, perhaps some advice on that too?
I am afraid I am asking too much, sorry for that but I am really worried as this is the very 1st BH of mine.
Thanks for everything.
 
After a short conversation on the phone he send the above email plus the BH sketches.
 
I reviewed the sketches and I told him that he need to take a flight to KL now.  There were so many mistakes, blunders and told him to stop construction works temperorily.
 
It will be a big mistake to continue the construction. 
 
The data room and the staircase to reach the 1st floor was too far apart.
 
The LAL was too small.
 
The LAL locations were all wrongly positioned.
 
The entrance hole size was too small and it location was not right.
 
Well his reply was: 

I am too busy with my schedule and will continue with the construction due to penalty if he stop them.
 
Hmm ..... what a waste.
 
I thought I can stop something that is clearcut will failed but unfortunately the owner seem to have other schedules.
 
The BH seem to be less important and good luck to him.
 
The important lesson here is that try not to do something on your own without understanding some basics about swiftlet farming.
 
Attend some courses and make sure to avoid stupid mistakes.  Get someone to be your advisor and make sure you get the right design before starting any construction job.

God Bless Him ......
 
 

Do you learned something from reading my blog? If your answer is yes then you should be kind enough to donate a small fee to this account: Maybank, 564155503944, Azlina Ang Abdullah.

No comments: