Search This Blog

Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Typical DIY Architectural Designing Works Of A BH !!!

I was in a meeting today with an established architect personnel.

"Pak Harry I have come out with a BH design which I hope will be okay with you."

My first question was, how much do you know about swiftlet?  Have you attended any Seminars and perhaps used some advise from an experience BH expert.

"Very little just one seminar with Dr.Lim."

Okay what about any visits into any BHs?

"Nope never given a chance before."

Okay let me have a look at what you have come out with.

He got his laptop started and showed me a 3D BH using google sketch.

Hmm.... not bad but his poor knowledge about swiftlet is clearly shown on his laptop.

I sighed and shook my head with amusement.

Your BH design has too many flaws and when you  are designing it you are not thinking like a swiftlet, I told him. Just look at the LAL, your LAL is a staircase and it is for human but you forgot that the BH is for those birds.

The entrance holes were poorly done, the two entries are in communication, the size of the LAL was too small, the location of the LAL on the top floor was not proper, the lower LAL was also not correct, the size of the roving area was too small, the ventilation holes were too many, the VIP room not there, the size of the building were not right, the ceiling heights were wrong and many more defects.

This is like going to a deep sea on a Sampan (small wooden boat) and upon reaching home you designed a Titanic.

I believed with only one seminar, a one day basic course, with Dr. Lim is not good enought to come out with a good BH design, I told him. You need to learn more, if I were you.

You need to do more researches, attend a few more seminars, visits a number of BHs in operation and take a good look what is inside.  You also need to start thinking that you are those birds flying in and out looking for a place to stay.

He smiled and accepted my verdict.

"Yes I do agree with you." That was his professional answer.

No hard feeling but he needs more exposure and experiences before getting his company to splash those monies into the project.

Well what I would say is that this is a typical setback in out swiftlet industry.  Most people have this mind set that everybody can design a good BH and there is no need to have any knowledge about those swiftlet.

At the end of the day more then 80% BHs constructed failed.

Who do you think should be blamed?

Note: The author have no intension of condeming Dr.Lim or anybody but everybody have to understand that a one day workshop with any "sifu" is not enought to come out with a RM250,000 BH design.  Try to learn more then those basics provided by Dr.Lim or perhaps get some experience swiftlet farmers to be involved. Dr. Lim have been one of the most admired person by myself. He is one professional person who have been helping many newbies to learn more in swiftlet farming.

No comments: