Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

And She Didn't Get That Part Wet,Yet !!!

She went to bath and she got her nickel wet,
She went to bath and she got her nickel wet,
She went to bath and she got her nickel wet,
But she didn't get that part wet, yet !!!

The above was part of my 2nd college (UM) song that I used to humm when writing this blog.

Well what is so special about " She didn't get that part wet, yet!!"

I was trying to compile all those BHs which I entered with lots of water on the floor, not until flooding but  wet and slippery.

When I first visited a BH somewhere in China Town Kuala Trengganu, about 3 years ago, I need to lift my pants up.  If not they will be soaked by those bird shit laced water.

Recently in Kuala Lipis I saw the same thing where the owner was happy with having his BH floor pretty wet.

Another unit was in Sungai Patani, Kedah.  I visited three weeks ago.  All the floors were wet.

Then at Raub, Sungai Ruan, exactly the same.  The BH floors were also wet.

So what?  You might asked.

Well one very strange observation was that all these three BHs were with lots of tenants.  The first was with about 600 nests, the second was about 200nests, the thirds was with about 250 nests and the fourth was with 350 nests.

My close observations on the nesting planks I can see that those nests were not only big but crystal white.  All the four gives the same results.

Those wet floors must have minimize those dust from flying into the air.  Yes those nasty dust are stuck on the floor.  The lesser the amount of dust in your BH the cleaner the nests will be.

Recently I brought the wet issue with another BH owner in Setiawan.

He told me another very interesting story.

"Harry, one day one of my BH was flooded.  It was due to one of those water pipe to the humidifier got detached.  You know what, when I entered the BH it was with so many birds which I never have before.  I took little notice and have no idea that they were in due to those water on the floor.  The next visit after the floor dried up, the was no one at home."

There must be some relationship between water on the floor and those swiftlet numbers on your nesting planks or flying around you.

I am of the opinion that wet floor is something that those birds loves. It could be those high humidity it created or the aroma from those bird shits soaked in the water. What ever it is, I can safely says that if you want to bring more birds into your BH get those floors wet (not flooding please).

Before doing that make sure there are no cracks or water proof the floors first. If it leaks those water will seep to the lower floor and will damage the nesting planks below.

If it leaks you will have a disaster down there.  The nesting planks will be soaked and those mushroom (fungus) will start to grow on them.  Remember those birds hates fungus spores.

Be wise and make sure you are safe before using this special idea.

Best of luck to all those who happened to read this special tip or secret.

My plan is to conduct a small research at Rawang Country Home BH.  I will get one of the floor wet why the other will be normal.

Let see which floor do they prefer.

4 comments:

hello said...

I have the same experience on wet floor as well, all show good result. Many birds inside

Pak Harry The Swiftlet Anthusiast !!! said...

This is something to think about. Maybe we can get more people to tell their experience with wet floors. Please help to tell your wet floor experiences.

Ben Gan said...

Wet floor! Beware it's slippery. One thing for sure is that it brings the temperature down.
Why not have a shallow pool of water. Don't forget to put in some small fish so that larva don't breed there.

Anonymous said...

Pak HARRY,did u have a copy of the latest Garis panduan -jan 2010?it says that the floor must not b wet. dry always.the guano has to b cleared
to avoid parasites.
r u in the pro tem committee?if , yes pls use ur expertise to tell them abt. swiftlets farming