Search This Blog

Monday, November 15, 2010

If Open Roof Is Not Producing Results !!!


I was in Penang about three weeks ago and met the Paya Terubong BH owner who came back from Bangkok just to view his revamped BH.

It seem that the number of nests was not growing that as fast as we anticipated.

I told him that overall the number of birds were not that many in the area.

The next possible reason was the top entry might not be suitable for the area.  It seem that the next door neighbor was using the side entry.

There is a very strong possibility that those young birds generated from the BH nearby were not familiar with top entry hole and perhaps he might want to erect a monkey house structure with two entrances to bring more birds into his BH.

Well his answer was very fast and straight forward.  Okay let us more ahead and go with the side entries type.

He immediately called his contractor to begin the erection works last week end.

I dropped by to provide my inputs on the precise location on the two entrance holes.  I also requested that the hexagonal tweeter be located deeper inside to reduce the noise pollution.

In the meantime managed to get my works supervisor to start his work to upgrade a few new ideas that I believed will help to populate the BH.

The first was to open the old top entrance window.  With this new opening the house will actually have three openings.  A partition to avoid short circuiting the bird flow was made.

I believed in those wet floor concept and the VIP room floor will be my main target.  It will be laid with a layer of plastic mat complete with a 1 inch thick of fine sand sprinkle with lots bird shit. Specially mixed water with raw nests in it will be used to wet the sand.

I wanted to help the owner to get at least six new nests within less than three months. The way to help was to install six recycled bird nests originated from my own BH in SP.  The six pieces with traces of birds saliva on them will me migrated to this revamped BH.  The fake nests will be on loan and will be moved out soon after they are being occupied for at least one cycle.  This is one of the most effective tool to help new BH to be occupied with young birds.

Another new idea which I recently developed was the use of chicken coop humidifier as the aroma sprayer. I have modified a 30 liter water container to act as an aroma reservoir to lure those wild birds into the house.  Using a digital timer the humidifier fed with specially mixed aroma, I call "EROTICA", it will sprayed once a day about 25 minutes from 6:30 pm till 6:55pm.

I have decided to supply and about 30 pieces of corner covers laced with special aroma inside the VIP room.  These corner covers will be a flat type with about 5 inch in length tapered on both ends.

There will be two new chandeliers inside the VIP rooms playing only external sound.

I have no doubt that within 2-3 months the number of nests will multiplied by at least 100 %, I told the owner.

There is nothing to loose Pak Harry and I need this BH to be my first and successful.  Please make it happen.

No comments: