Search This Blog

Monday, July 30, 2012

An EcoPark With 20 Newly Build BHs On A 10 Acres Of Land !!!


The first Swiftlet Eco Park in Malaysia that started an insect barn to draw more birds to its site.

I was very impressed with the chief operator of this Eco Park in Taiping, Perak.

My relationship with him started when he attended one of my Swiftlet Farming Seminar held in Setiawan, Perak.

After the Seminar he approached me telling me about his project and wanted my advise on how to bring as many birds as possible to his Eco Park from the surroundings.

My answer to him was simple : Provide them with free food.

"What do you mean by that, Pak Harry?"

Why don't you set up a number of insect barns in your Eco Park and see what will happen.

He took a bold step forward and stick his mind to my mind boggling idea.

"Pak Harry please drop by at the site and advise further where I should erect the Barn.  Also I need the formula plus those starter insects."

I did just that.  Drove about 3 hours from Kuala Lumpur and met him at a small town called Simpang, Perak.

"Please hop into my car and I will take you there."

It was just about 5 minutes drive to reach the location and I was very surprise with the number of BHs that were ready and under construction.

The Eco Park now (as at July 28th 2012) has four operating BH and 17 more under constructions.

The oldest unit (came together with the land) was indicated to be about 3 years old with about 800 nests now.

3 new units were recently launched and more will be added in stages (one unit at least per month).

A very brave and bold idea to construct a total of 20 BHs on a single piece of land.

The whole 20 units of BHs is single owned with no private investor.

There will a plan to invite investors but it will be done once all the BHs are up and running, according to the operator.

My main responsibility was to look into activating those insect barn(s) and I did not ask the operator to show me the inside of those newly completed BHs.

My plan is to follow up with him on the insect barn project with the hope that this pioneer project will be followed by many others who wanted to start their BH(s).

I sincerely believed that insect barn should be a part of all stand alone BHs.

All that you need is a building about 12 feet by 10 feet divided into four rooms.

Make sure they are insect tight and place a simple rack in each room to hold those insect soup containers.

With the easy access to those insect generating powder you can prepare the insect soup within minutes.

If you need those started insect you can just call Pak Harry at 017 7551318.

All that you need is the desire to be different from the rest.

Bring more to your BH site and you will have a better chance of populating your new or old BHs.

Have a look at these pictures taken during the recent trip.

I hope that the operator will not stop half way since he already constructed one.

The sign board beside the main road.  You can turn in just before this sign.
The first signs of BH under construction when you turn into the dirt road.

Further up you can see bigger sizes BHs under construction.



Another view of BH under construction (20 in total)


You can see some already in operation while a few about to be finished.



My job was to populate this insect barn (one of the many to come).



No comments: