Today Saturday 31st May 2014 I decided to do something about the gap on the Bird Monitoring Sensor at Kapar BH.
The gap from the upper window frame and the two sensors were about 6 inches apart.
It seems that during one evening while observing those birds returning home the counter seems to miss count those that entered from the top part of the entrance window.
At first I though that that was a very small matter but after a longer observations and scrutinizing the counter I think many birds were not counted.
I therefore decided to relocate the sensor but need one of my workers to climb the window.
Before arriving at the location I made up my mind of mobilizing those broken rice, taken from a rice mill, for insect breeding purposes.
Took about 100 kg of broken rice and bough about 15 pails from a hardware shop.
Once at the BH I told my worker to crack on the sensor while I looked after the insect breeding operation.
I cut the rice bags and poured all into those pails.
The broken rice seems to already has lots of those beetles.
The 100 kilograms were just a trial run.
If the number of birds entering the BH increase, this BH has a counter at its window, I advised the owner to double or perhaps triple the quantity.
One key advantage using this broken rice is that it produced very little smell as compared to using of ripe fruits or those Soy bean powder.
Once put in place it can last for more than 6 -8 months.
He agreed and volunteered to collect the broken rice himself.
Anyway after the relocation of the sensor and insect generation my workers took his time to count the number of nests inside this BH.
I wanted to know after three month how many new nests are there.
His final tally was 92 full and around 20+ markings.
I remembered the number before revamping was at 65 nests.
The number of nests increased was 27 pieces or 41.5% increment within 3 months.
Not bad but I wish it was 100%. Short of 38 nests and there are still a lot of works to get to this figure.
One of the few things that I have mobilized to this BH are the followings:
1) The insect generating system using broken rice. 100 kilograms for trial and will double or triple once the number of birds entering the BH touches 250 per day.
2) Started the NKS (nests kick start) operation during every visit to the BH. I will locate any new bird shit spots and quickly install those fake nests beside where they are staying.
3) Also started on an aggressive mode to apply the Super Pheromone liquid on all fake nests found inside the BH.
4) Initiated the installation of fake nests with two pheromone reservoirs. A few selected spots were installed with this new gadget which has two holes that can hold those liquid pheromone. The smell will last much longer and can easily attract new tenants to build their nests on these fake nests.
5) All new markings are applied with a layer of super pheromone type 3X.
6) During every visit the external sound will be changed and the best that draws the largest number of birds to the entrance hole will be used.
7) The humidifiers water containers will be filled with Mutiara aroma liquid. Every visit a new batch shall be prepared.
I promised the owner that I will try my utmost best to fill his BH with at least 200 complete and well formed nests by the end of 2014.
I am going to see that this will happen and I am sure he will be very grateful with my job.