Wednesday, November 26, 2014
My Short Visit To A BH In Bukit Mertajam !!!
I was asked by the owner to find a suitable buyer.
Before I can inform any buyer I told the owner let me have a short visit to his BH.
The BH he was referring to was on the top floor of a four stories shop house located in the middle of Bukit Mertajam town.
Very small unit about 22'X55' with a ceiling height of about 8 feet.
He bought the unit already converted into a BH about four years ago when swiftlet farming was still at its high.
It was more like an investment but never realized that one year after buying the Chinese hit the market with nitrite problem.
Now after four years holding to it he wanted to let it go.
My observation and comments are as follows:
Overall the BH looks quite okay with 110 nests.
The house uses a top entry method.
Unfortunately during the visit the external sound system were not operational.
The BH was not one but 1 1/2 unit.
Both floors were a bit too bright.
I told the owner if he should have asked me to revamp the BH the total number of birds might be much higher then now.
The strong point about this BH are as follows:
1) Even with those bright light the nest population was about 110++ nest.
2) The nesting planks used were those thick piece of 1.5 inches thick.
3) Most of the planks were okay with no fungus growth however a bit dirty and need cleaning.
4) The tweeters seems to be well arrange.
5) The owner adopted the installation of styrofoam fake nests about 50 pieces at least.
6) Half of these fake nests were occupied.
7) The brightness of both rooms can be easily tackled.
8) Most of the nests were at the front furthest from the entrance hole.
9) The nests size a above average and bigger then average size.
10) The sound system should have been better.
11) The BH is located in between two very successful BHs in BM.
I told the owner that if properly revamped I can easily double the nest population within 6-8 months.
Right now need to write a full report to a buyer who is already very excited over the property.