My trip was mainly to help this BH owner to get more nests.
By February 15 the Tanjung Karang BH should complete its 4 months into operation after the revamp works.
The nests shot up to 128 to be precised. I might have miss a few nests but what I recorded was on the top most 46, Middle floor 55 and ground floor was 31.
Prior to revamp operation the number of nests was 87 pieces.
The jump of 41 nests in 4 months is something like have 10 nests a month.
Not a bad thing to happen but the owner's parent was not very happy.
His father was pressing me to reduce the sound volume, a number of times he reminded me.
He seems to be taking some small advice for a relative of his.
I wonder why he did not engaged his relative in the first instant.
Well I sat down with the owner and brought forward to him about what I think his BH progress.
Overall the number have jumped by 41 nests within 4 short months.
He took almost 3 years to touch 87 nests while I took only four months to secure 41 new nests.
During my discussion with him I told him that usually after 8 months plus after my revamp operation the total nests will cross 100%.
Now after 4 months I touched 46% and balance is 54% within the next 4 months.
I will be very happy if I touch 80%.
Beside the nests increased I spoke to him about how to retain those young birds.
My recommendation on this matter was to wet the floor and the wall of his BH.
We did that just after the briefing.
I also suggested to him about carrying out a "force harvest" operation at least once a year.
If he carry out force harvest there is a very great possibility that his nests number will jump by about 30-40% within 3 months.
The best time for his BH is end of March 2015 just before the raining season (April 2015).
He accepted my proposal and asked me to provide my staff to carry out the tedious work.
I accepted his request since I wanted to use his BH as a benchmark or a test on this so called mystery.
"Is it true that after force harvesting the nests number will jump up by 30%-40% after 3 months?"
I might want to engage a UPM Professor to join in my research on this matter.
Beside force harvesting I push the idea of breeding insect inside his BH.
"What if we try to breed insect on your top floor at the pool area?"
He was silence for a brief moment but I quickly explained to him about my idea.
My idea is to use flour and yellow mee cooked in hot boiling plain water.
Turn the two into a soup and feed those young maggots.
Within a few days they will be flying all over his rooftop.
This will be an additional attraction to those swiftlet around him especially from his neighbors BHs.
He did not say yes or no.
I think he wanted my help in this matter and I am sure if I should push a bit more he will say yes.
So far the nests numbers are improving and all in all due to Pak Harry.
If he can push the nests number higher why not?
I told him that I will prepare a kind of proposal to him about the method and its cost.
Those of you who wanted to learn how to breed those insects let me know.
Call me at 017 7551318.
Who know you might be able to join the fun cooking or blending the two medium.
I also talked to him about preparing those stainless steel plate to cover those 90* corners with nest.
He should cover all those corners with nests once the raw nests were harvested.
By covering these corners those couples that are used to these location will be forced to a new place to start their new nests.
They usually will erect on the plate and the nesting plank closed to the previous nest location.
Their new nest will now be 180* shape and will be more acceptable at a higher price.
I have ordered about 100 pieces of these plates and it should be ready soon.
He will be the first to start deploying these plates.
Let us proved that the number of 90* shaped nest will reduce while the 180* shape will start to rise.
If you have any question about this method please call me.