Search This Blog

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Have You Seen This Birdhouse Along The NS Highway???



I have been passing by this Red Bricks Birdhouse building for many occassions. This particular trip I stopped my car and snapped a few pictures to share with all my blog readers.....

The design looks okay and you can see that the house is as if it was not yet completed. Based on the number of pillars I guess it is three stories high 40 feet width by 80 feet length.

The red color bricks are not covered with any cement and it is a bit sore to my eyes but it works (I guess).



The building is located in Perak roughtly about 10 kilometers from Bukit Gantang R&R area toward the north.

One thing that I can see was the use of rectangular vents holes. Just look carefully on the side walls. If you are very observant you will notice that there are no signs of those pigeon holes ventilation holes, like most birdhouses have. These rectangular shape air vents looks more pleasing to the eyes and I am sure it works.

It uses Dog Kennel entrance system on the top of the roof and if you look carefully, the owner have at least three separate entrance holes. He shut two of them but I am not sure of the other one facing the fourth side. My theory is that he was not sure which is the best direction to open. So he got all the four sites of the kennel to try out. Whichever works well then he will stick to that.


Beside swiftlet farming this owner have goats and chicken farms at the site of the building.



Hmmm hmmm very enterprising....... Nowadays Malaysians farmers are getting more and more sophisticated .........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw the building almost every year when I returning from Kedah to Johor. But not too sure how long ago. It does not seems to be successful, else, there will be birds flying above...The same every time I returning. By putting up 4 entrance hole, probably the owner is not sure where is the bird coming from..The top floors was not plaster, i guess it is the same reason as the Tirokswift farm, to provide a better cooling effect, tend to trap water after rain...and greater surfaces area for cooling under hot sun...Ground floor is plastered to better protect the building in term of security and predators.

Pak Harry The Swiftlet Anthusiast !!! said...

I think you are right, there were no sound and no birds circling above the house.

Will try to stop and ask the caretaker how the house is doing.