Search This Blog

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sorry, I Was Away For Two Days !!!

I have to say sorry to all my blog readers. I was on an unpaid leave to tend to my birdhouse in Sungai Patani, Kedah.

Since I do not have the luxury of carrying a laptop, I lost one where someone broke my car window, I prefer to write using my desktop at home in Kuala Lumpur.

Just arrived home, and now is at 11.38 pm. Let me put my wife to bed and will come back to talk a bit about my birdhouse......

Just pause for a while , OKAY ????



I am back ......

The trip to SPatani is always an enjoyable one and this time got to meet a few birdhouse owners and one newbie.

Frank and Andy are both from Kulim, Kedah. They dropped by to say "hello" and pick up one container of Insect Powder. Goh & Wife from Alor Star also came down to say hello and pick up four of the insect powder containers.( I was doing a favor to carry home for them)

Giap who currently stays in SPatani also drop by to say hello.

All the four stayed for a few minutes to have a little chat and once done they were very happy to have a new friend, Harry The Nice and Friendly Swiflet Guy....

My birdhouse became the nomination centre on that day ....

I spend nearly four hours at my birdhouse. Some of the things that I did was to install three new digital timers for my humidifiers (the hygrostats were not working). Set the timing for all the eight settings available and once installed did lots of checking that they works. While that was on I was monitoring the humidity and temperator indicator. They looks fine to me. Both the nesting room temperature and humidity improve everytime the humidifiers are switched on....

I also checked my insect powder solution. The pail I activated three weeks ago were with lots of small flies and there were lots of worms in the pail too. The worms is about one centimeter length and looks like a normal house fly lava. The only bad thing was that my caretaker (my bother) put too much water and I have little choice but to throw away the excess water together with those precious worms.

I prepared a new one and this time got the caretaker to see how I mixed and he is not supposed to put in too much water every three weeks. Half a liter is okay but must stir them well....

I was also very concern over the birdcall CD players. One of them is not working (internal sound). I tested three to four times and it just could not read the Disc. Dismentled the unit and got a new replacement. It works...

The data room was a bit too stuffy ,with little air moving and no wall clock.... Got a fan and a wall clock from Tesco ....

The humidity and temperature looks okay (above 80% and around 28*C). It gets better everytime when the humidifiers, two units, runs concurrently. Well I am thinking of increasing one each for the two floors.

The nesting rooms smell is less pungent like before but there are still some. I instructed my caretaker to finish the last half liter of aroma onto the wall (downstairs). We did that just before we finish the inspection....

I have this strong opinion that these Aroma do works. My recomendation for newbies who have just set up their birdhouse in operation, just use the aroma for as long as you can. Stop using it once your birdhouse is at least with 100 nests or more ....

For a brand new unit use the Cement and Wood smell eredication aroma for at least three months and after that use the standard aroma until your house have 100 nests or more in them..

You will not regret it ... To prove to you that it works, just read this email that I have just received:

Quote:

Hai Mr Harry..

Saya telah menggunakan aroma yang dibeli dari satu kedai bagi menarik perhatian burung di dalam rumah burung saya. Lebih kurang seminggu selepas penggunaan aroma tersebut terdapat lebih kurang 10 nest base di dalam rumah burung saya. Sebelum ini hanya terdapat satu nest base sahaja. Ini membuktikan aroma juga memainkan peranan bagi menarik lebih burung ke dalam bangunan anda. Saya membeli aroma tersebut pada harga RM xxx.00/liter.

Unquote:

Translation:

(Dear Harry,
I have just applied my birdhouse with a kind of aroma which I recently bought to attract those wild swiftlet. Just about one week after applying the aroma I saw about 10 nests base in my birdhouse. Before this there was only one nest base. This proved that aroma do play a very important role in attracting those swiflets into my new birdhouse. I bought the aroma for RM xxx.00 per liter.



The fake nests seem to be doing okay out of ten, three have sign of being tenanted ..

The nest build on nasi lemak styrofoam have become bigger.

There were many nests with babies and they looks fine.

The water was running okay and the electricity bill is up to date.

I am pretty happy on the progress to far and I am looking forward for my next trip home. I have this special arrangement with my wife and she fully supported my idea. You know why? While I tend to my birdhouse, she will be having fun playing poker with her family members. Hai yah, Chinese is still a Chinese. The blood is so thick with those gambling chromosone. He he he......

As long as she is happy with those poker sessions, I am also happy and glad to be with my birdhouse....

My aim is to reach that finishing line sooner then my neighbors ....

Those who are in the same race, let do together ....

There is nothing to loose to run side by side ....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, I like the joke about the Nomination Centre. Harry, thanks for the nest and insect powder. You farm should do better. Hope to see you again.

Pak Harry The Swiftlet Anthusiast !!! said...

Frank,
U are welcome. I forgot that I gave U and Andy one nest each as a GIFT. Do not hope during your nest visit. No more my friend.

Frank I gave your number to Mr Goh. He wud like to drive together to KT to attend the Seminar.

Thank U