Search This Blog

Saturday, February 9, 2008

How I Activated The Insect Powder !!!



On the way back to SP, got with me two containers of those insect powders.

One was reserved for me while the other was for Frank which however was taken by Dr Ung.

I need to replace the one for Frank and I will get him two sets. Well there was another interested party who asked for four containers.

Let me put it this way, I need to carry at least 10 containers the next trip back home......

Anyway I activated the one that I have and it was very simple.



First I open the container and pull out the plastic bag out. Open the bag mouth and poured in about two kilos of it into the provided plastic container. Got a bottle of drinking wanter and poured into the pail. I used the nest harvesting scrapper to stir the powder and the water. They turned orange in color. Stirred until I was satisfied that they are properly mixed. Laid aside for a while and the smell was a bit "masam". Thought of tasting it but decided not to. Took the container upstairs and place it in the roving room.

According to the phamplet provided, within one and half week the pupa will start to climb to the upper part of the plastic container. Once there they will produce the fruit fly that I was enticipating.



Note: The Insect Powder is a mixture of dry food plus fruit flies eggs. Once the are activate i.e. add 3 liters of water in a 2 kilo of powder, the eggs will start to turn into lava and eat the food provided. Within one and the half week, you will see the fruit fly generated from the container.Each mixture can last for about 5 to 6 months. Once the food source is totally consumed, there will no more insect being produced.

Hope it works and by the next few weeks I should be back to check for the insects.

I love to try new things and I am sure all those who have their birdhouses will think on the same line.....



If you would like to order please PM me and let me get you the powder.....

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Harry,

Would appreciate if you could specify where you intend to place the insect-device? Inside the birdhouse which can be quite dark?

Pak Harry The Swiftlet Anthusiast !!! said...

waletandy,

I put it at the ROVING ROOM....

Or else on the roof of your house beside the entrance.

Anonymous said...

hi harry, am interested in some insect powder. How to get hold of some?

jim

Pak Harry The Swiftlet Anthusiast !!! said...

I am keeping some for my blog readers. If you want some let me know how many containers. Each container is 2 kilos costing about RM 120. Thanks

Anonymous said...

What happen if it rain if we put them on the roof? I would suggest to put at a covered place near to the main entrance.

Pak Harry The Swiftlet Anthusiast !!! said...

Frank,

If U put in the open then of couse those rain mater will flood the container. Use some cover like buy a bigger container to put the activated powder in it. Make some holes the the side of the big container to allow the insect to fly out. Or else built a small chicken hut with roof. Place the container in the hut.

Unknown said...

Hi Harry,

How bright is the roving room? Can the walet seek out the insects by vision?

Pak Harry The Swiftlet Anthusiast !!! said...

waletandy,
My birdhouse is the open hole type so the roving area is quite bright.
I believe they do need to be in a bright light room. The only one that have a bright light shud be the roving....