Search This Blog

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Is There A Way To Increase The Number Of Birds In Your New BirdHouse ???

I woke up this morning and was on the way to the toilet.

My room mate, I am staying at Orchardz Hotel in Pontianak, Indonesia, Mr.T was asking me:

"Harry can we increase the birds by increasing the number of birds breeding season?".

Hmmm......

A very challenging question and I keep thinking about how those people in Kedah improve their harvest by first doing twice a year planting and some time back they got a new hybrid that can grow at a much faster rate. Now from one season a year, they can now plant at least three times a year.

Can we do the same to swiftlet farming????

My logical answer is yes. But you need a very strong determination to follow what I have in my mind.

Okay are you ready to listen to my idea?

If you do, start thinking about this idea.

In a normal breeding method, the birds will breed three times a year. This is equivalent to four months a cycle. Each cycle consisted of nest building, eggs laying, incubation period and the feeding of those two babies until they are able to fly.

What if you can cut down the breeding cycle from four months to three months?

I have a very simple idea and I can tell you cutting of 4 weeks per cycle is simple.

First you help to built those nests by using fake nests and secondly you replace those eggs with a ready incubated young babies.

Each will cut the cycle by two weeks.

What about having a barn close by to your BH where you generate insects for the mama birds to harvest those insect and get back within less then 3 minutes? In this way the mama birds do not need to fly very far. Their babies will be well fed and grow much faster as compared to normal fooding method. May be we can cut the feeding period by at least one week?

So total breeding period now is lessen by 5 weeks. We can now cut down from 4 months or 16 weeks to just 11 weeks.

As such one year, if the seasons are okay, there will be 5 X 3 = 15 weeks extra.

Hmm.... I beginning to think of doing this in my BH.....

Call Harry 017 755 1318 for more interesting conversations.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am ur new reader.I like to reads about you blogs where gives me a lots of suggestions and opinions to increase my swiftlets farming.
I shared with my family to built a BH recently. But troubles comes when everthings is ready.
For your infomation, Mukah, Sarawak's Swiftlets Farming facig a BIG BIG troubles. Where Jabatan Perhutanan Sarawak had came to our town last 3 days and ask the owners of shop house BH to open the door to let them in. What they done was they took all the birds nest, amplifiers and speakers. Their reasons is they said we dont have license.
But for your infomation, a lots of us had apply for the license for a lots of time, but they said in Sarawak there is no this kind of license.
Almost all the BH's came 2 make protect BH and try to make deal with JPS. We wanted to stop them entering our BH, but failed. After the meeting we all failed. They still keep on to go in every BH to take all the birds nest, amplifiers and speakers.
I just wanna 2 ask whether you can tell me the real rules of Swiftlets Farming in Malaysia. And how to get the license? And builting BH at shop houses can or not? All these seems different at east and west Malaysia? Why?

Pak Harry The Swiftlet Anthusiast !!! said...

Dear Anonymous,

Firstly it will be more pleasent if U can use your name.

Thank U for reading my blog and learn something on swiftlet farming.

As for the Mukah incident, I feel terribly sad and concern over the matter.

Main problem lies with the head of the Forestery department in Sarawak.

I was informed that he used to be a Police Officer and love to use his gun like those cowboys.

He thinks that he is above the law.

The best I cud advise U and the rest is to stop building for a while and let the matter cool down.

We need to unite to get these criminals to justice. Take photos and video clips on the harrasment and get your MP to look into the matter.

The best is to bring the matter to the Chief Minister of Sarawak.

As far as I know there are not law saying on those lisence so far.

The other problem is that those implemented at the Federal level are not applicable to Sarawak and Sabah. This is something to do do with too much politics.

I symphatise with U and those affected but I think those culprits with meet their match soon when they enter those BHs belonging to some gangsters and mafias.

Trust me they will meet their match very soon.

West Wing said...

I wish to state here are that we have laws and that nobody can just enter your premises and take away your belonging without your consent.
Make a police report for every breakin and sue the forestry department. Do not open the door voluntary. Report the case as break in and daylight robbery as it is robbery, right? Get a lawyer to do it for you all and report every cases and see how many does it take for the police to take action.

The government department can only take legal action but not break in without a court order.

That's my opinion.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your advise. I've got a lots of advises and opinions, i become more confident now.

Also wanna to say thank you again for you had highlighting this issue.

We've done everythings we can.

Hopes that Government can hear our voices and them help us.

Today, two of Malaysia Swiftlets Farming Association's member from KL came here to give advise to all swiftlets farmer.

They will go to meet government department to discuss again the issue. Hopes to hear good news from them soon.

Anonymous said...

currently i just asked a fren that about liceence for bh... true there is a licecse for bh and we cant do a bh at shoplot.u want it i can bet u that sure cost u alot for undertable.2 depatrment to write in 1st foretri for permit then 2nd for coucel that it.and harry u mean our cm in sarawak ... u dunno he is a buaya in sarawak ?? sure BIG MOUTH...