Search This Blog

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Should You Install Some Light In Your BH?

While walking to the car, after dinner in Taman Tun Dr Ismail, I received a call from my favourite blog reader. He went straight to the point:
"Harry should we provide some light in the BH?"

My answer is yes and no.

Before I spit out my opinion, I asked him what prompted him to come out with the question?

"You see my friend who happened to have a BH somewhere, one day he forgot to switch off the fluorescent light. After three months, the empty floor was with bird nests?"

Hmm ...... Something I would say unusual.

In normal circumstances these birds prefer dim or low darkness. They feel much safer to built their nest. However if your BH is very tall, say four to five stories high, the lowest level will be pitch dark.

These birds will prefer not to nest in a totally dark room. Main reason being they need morning light to guide them to exit.

Just imagine if you are the bird. If you cannot get those light in the morning you will always be the last to wake up and start the day. They rest already filled up their belly while you just work up?

There were many reports saying that for these high building, when you open a hole, entrance or exit hole, in say 2nd floor, those pitch black area will be populated. All in all those birds have the light to show them the exit hole to be out early to find food.

There were also cases that when a 5 watt lamp was installed, this was mentioned by Pak Hendry Mulia in his seminar in Pulau Kapas, those birds will built their nest above the lamp.

Very unusual and no one knows why.

They more you know about them the more you really need to know them.

What I advised my good friend was to try and see the result. If they do not work then remove the light.

No comments: