Search This Blog

Thursday, December 23, 2010

How True It Was On The Bird's Flying Path !!!


"Pak Harry, I need your help to check on a piece of land in Pekan Nenas. Is it suitable for a BH?"

I completed a two days journey to Johore.

My first stop was in Muar, Johor.  I met a newbie who just become a father and was looking forward to meet me to procure a set of sounds for his new BH.

After having a cup of coffee with him I found my way to Batu Pahat.  Another blog reader was waiting for me to inspect his 18 months old BH with only 12 nests.

The cause of failure have something to do with a poor selection of entrance hole type.

You cannot use a monkey house for a top entry entrance hole. I told him.

As usual the internal design was bare with little tweeters and no VIP room.

My next stop was at Pekan Nenas, about 1.5 hours drive from Batu Pahat.

The two friends from Johor Bahru wanted my opinion about a piece of land about 2 km from Pekan Nenas.

I took along my test gadget and managed to draw more then 400 birds within less then 15 minutes.  Told the land owner that there is a very strong chance that the land will be good for his BH.

My only concerned was those high power cable lines just beside it.  The Electro Magnetic fields produce by those high powered cables might distort the swiftlet navigational pattern and they might not be flying closed to them if they can.

When I was about to stop the bird call gadget sound I explained about how to predict where these birds will fly to.

Normally once you stop the test sound, the birds will normally fly home, since it was already 6:30pm.  That will be the flying path, I reaffirmed to him.

He was very observant and choose the direction where the most number of birds were going.

"Pak Harry, I choose that direction".  Pointing his finger towards the west of the location.

I asked him, are you sure?

"Yes Pak Harry. 100 % sure since more then 50% are going that way."

Okay let us walk to your piece of land and reconfirm your selection.

Yes it was very very true that those birds, after more then 20 minutes I switched off the test sound, were flying to the direction chosen by the land owner.

Good, now you have passed the first lesson in determining the flying path direction.  We shall use that direction when we design your dream BH on this piece of land.

He was so happy when I keep telling him how good he was with the selection.

We have a sumptuous sea food dinner and just today he send a thank you message as follows:

Hi Harry,
 
Thank you very much for making the trip down to Pekan Nenas to visit my agri land yesterday. It was very honor to have met up with you. It was a memorable experience and has gained some knowledge by chatting with you. I am very excited the land is suitable for swiftlet farming and cannot wait to get the BH started. However my friend and I will be looking forward to your next visit to view his land probably in two weeks time. We would love to buy you another sumptuous seafood meal and your favourite drinks. Ha..ha..ha…
 
Cheers,

I make my way to Masai to rest for the night because I do have a few new and old projects that needs my attention the next day.  Reached Masai at 10:30pm.



The following day I did a follow up inspection on one BH I revamped.


They looks find and the smell was good I told the owner. 


I changed both the external and internal sound with some latest sound.


"Thank you very much Pak Harry for dropping bye."


After finishing the visit I make my way to a small town call Ulu Tiram.


Two brothers with high hope but with a bid little money in the pocket.


They showed me a piece of 5 acres land and wanted to start a trial BH.


During the bird call test I was surprised to see at least three flock of bird rushing towards the test gadget.


This was the first time to see birds coming over in a flock and not one by one.


"Pak Harry we only have 50K and we want you to help us with a suitable BH.  Please help."


I told them the 50K is a bit too low to have a cement walled BH.  They might need to build themselves using a suitable designed unit.


The second last meeting was back in Masai.


A lady who wanted my help to guide her with her dream BH in Parit Jawa.


The last stop was in Tangkak, Johore.


"Pak Harry I am here with two new sounds that might be of help to your blog readers."


Hmm... not a bad trip.  Every trip you will meet someone new and of course I will be taken to the best dinner in town......


That is a live of a traveling famous Swiftlet Blogger !!!

No comments: