Search This Blog

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Two BHs With Similar Problems Where The Swiftlet Refuse To Stays !!!


I make my way to Ipoh, Perak with a blog reader who happened to attend a product launching at Subang.

When inside the car I asked him what kind of BH problems he wanted me to inspect.

"Pak Harry, my Dad purchased a BH in Ipoh about 9 months ago with about 12 nests.  Unfortunately after 9 months the number remain the same.  I need your help to inspect the BH and let me know how to improve the number of nests."

After about 2 hours drive I was taken to the affected BH located somewhere which I do not think I know how to get there myself.

From the outside the BH looks okay but there were a number of old and new BHs at the back and at one of its side. The unit at the back seem to be blasting a sound which I am very familiar with.

Hmm .... this is no good, I told myself.

The owner gave me some ideas where the rest of the BHs around his BH and where those bird flew back home in the evening.

Again it was very obvious that the entrance hole was not facing the flight path.

The owner did installed a hexagonal tweeter but it was a bit too far away from the entrance hole and too high.

I was then taken up to view the BH from the inside. 

While walking up the stairs I told myself that there must be some big problems with the entrance hole area and the flying path from the roving into the nesting room.

Well my prediction was perfect.

The size of the roving areas meet the bare minimum, about 12'X12', but the opening from the roving into the nesting was unsuitable.  It was so sharp and if I am the young birds I will quickly fly out.

The next big concern I have was the high percentage of nesting planks being attacked by fungus.  It was more then 20%.

The number of tweeters, as usual, were too little and not installed in a proper location and wrong size.

There was a VIP room at the back but it was not designed properly.  Too wide a door and the door was not at the right position.

One obvious reasons why those birds were not coming in was due to lack of external sound tweeter along the walls to draw them into the BH.

Well I have a tough time to convince the father and I feel as is that I was a conman brought in from no where.

He tried to argue with me on a number of issues and I told him that if he is so smart then why don't he do himself?  Why get me over?

At the end of the day he apologies and requested my recommendations as quickly as possible.

One more sick BH and one more report to write.

 The Side and Back View 

 This is where the birds enter the roving area.


 From Roving into the nesting room, this entrance door is ridiculously too sharp.


Look at the nesting planks?  Can you count how many internal tweeters are there?  How about the number of fake nests?

We should not blame the owner in total but the sifu who designed this BH has no knowledge at all about those swiftlet.  The new owner have nearly blank idea and he though that it was as simple as ABC.

Will make some recommendations and I hope with some twitching those birds will start coming in.

No comments: