Search This Blog

Monday, February 6, 2012

Just Arrived From Kota Kinabalu, Sabah !!!


The 4 days in Kota Kinabalu was very fruitful.

The moment landed in KK someone from Sandakan, Sabah called to get an appointment to meet me for some advise on his failed BH.

He thought the building of a BH is simple but unfortunately after putting the BH into operation not a single bird entered his entrance hole.

"Pak Harry they came but never get closed to the entrance hole."

The moment he produced his sketches and pictures, I smiled and told him one simple observation :

"The roof is too long and that might be one of the reasons why they cannot find your entrance hole, I told him. Cut the roof extension to only about 10 inches and raise the entrance hole closer to the roof.  You need to install a hexagonal tweeter just above the hole about 1.5 feet above the roof."

Pak Harry what else?

You LAL is not at the right position.  Too far to the back.  Usually LAL should be located closer to the entrance hole where 100% of the birds entered or leaving shall pass above it.  Yours will be very little number of birds going downstairs.

Anything more?

Are you sure your entrance hole is facing the flying path? What about the sunrise?

Both answers given by him was not to my satisfactory.  They are the opposite to what I have been preaching.

This is a kind of mistakes that newbies will do and it is very sad that many will eventually gives up and let the BH become a ghost house.

We talked until midnight and I asked for being excused since I need to rest to prepare for the next morning seminar.

The seminar went pretty well.  A total of 28 participants attended and some were their second time.

I was given the floor for almost 6 hours and I am glad that all of those who planned to own a BH came forward to thank me for being so generous with informations.

"Pak Harry I never got bored with your seminar.  You always gives us everything that know and discovered.  I am very impressed with the idea on the last tango."

A remark from one of the participants.

The next day I started my day early meeting a blog reader who wanted my input on converting his 23 acres of agriculture land into a swiftlet eco park.

I brief him my opinion and I look forward to fly to KK on a regular basis to help him with his project.  There is about 80% chance that this project will take off and it will be the first in Papar.

Just before noon I was taken to Papar to view a very new project on the top of a hill.  The owner seems to ask for some help to get his BH on the right footing.

After inspecting his two stories newly constructed BH I mentioned to him that I will be an honor to he given the opportunity to help him in what ever I can.

We then adjourned to a just completed three stories BH at Kimanis.

The BH was about 99% completed and I was given the task to activate the sound for a test run.

I did my setting and tested for about 2 hours.  About 30 swiftlet came over and some entered the new house.

The "Last Tango" will be used to lure those birds into the house.

Since the house is not fully ready I told the owner to start the aroma treatment and try to finish those wiring.

I hope he will have a good chance to populate his BH.












No comments: