Search This Blog

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Getting Ready To Cross Foster Swiftlet With Serinti Family !!!




The time has come to start this new experiment.

This time my experiment is to cross Swiftlet Eggs with Serinti Eggs.

The Serinti will be the foster parent to a clutch of two Swiftlet eggs.

It might have be done in other places but I never have a chance to experience myself.

Due to some luck I was given the green-light  when a blog reader who build his own BH somewhere in Ulu Langat, Selangor rented the lower floor of a wooden house with about 300 Serinti nests.

The eggs will be coming from Gambang, Pahang if everything goes well.

I was very lucky to be contacted by a BH owner who wanted to let me have about 500 swiftlet eggs on a regular basis.

Today at about noon time I was invited to take a look at the Serinti nests conditions.

They looked okay to me however the number of nests with eggs were not many.

I told the owner to wait for a few more weeks when those Serinti starts to lay their eggs.



In the mean time I need to inform the Gambang BH owner to delay my trip to fetch the eggs.

There will be two ways in this experiment.

The first and the easiest is to swap the two Serinti eggs with swiftlet eggs.

However I prefer the second method i.e. to swab the Serinti baby birds with Swiftlet baby birds.

We finally agreed to do on a 50:50 basis.  50% will be with eggs swabbing and 50% with baby birds swabbing.

I am pretty excited on this new frontier in starting the experiment and I hope the results and experiences will be exposed to all my blog readers.

I am sure there will be lots of hiccups and perhaps a proper solutions.

The thing here is to learn and share what ever that are necessaries to improve the swiftlet farming industry.

To those who have previous experiences, especially Indonesian counterpart or blog readers, please email to me your advise on what to and not to do to ensure that the project is successful.

Use my harryswiftlet@yahoo.com

No comments: