Search This Blog

Thursday, March 29, 2012

What I Can Comment About Swiftlet Farming In Sabah !!!



From the many visits and news from a number of Sabahan I would like to say that it is much easier to become a successful swiftlet farmer in Sabah.

I was having dinner with Mr B of Sandakan, Sabah and during the evening talk he posted this question:

"Pak Harry what do you think about swiftlet farming in Sabah in general?"

He posted this question since he just started revamping a family BH that went wrong.

Prior to meeting myself he attended two swiftlet farming seminars in KK and Subang Jaya.

Both did gave him something to start but was a bit too little to raise his confident level.

"There were too many questions unanswered and I just could not figured out why my family BH is not doing well.

After reading my blog, twice, and attended my seminar in KK he became a new man with high level of confident.

I was surprised with the amount of things which he can remembered when we talk about a few interesting issues.

I realized not that he is not a layman but a person with two degrees.  Engineering and Biotech.

He reads and stored those knowledge in his brain much longer than the rest.

When he posted this peculiar question about what I feel about swiftlet farming in Sabah I took some time to put together what I personally feel about it.

First point, swiftlet farming in Sabah is in its infant stage.  The number of BHs as compared to Peninsular is very little. This will be like the birds will be searching for BHs as compared to in Peninsular where BHs are searching for birds.

Second point, Sabah is a highly forested country and nearly 85% of its land are still under forest or palm oil plantation.  The more the trees the more there will be insects. If there are lots of insects those birds will be able to multiply pretty fast and they will be larger in size.  If the are large, their nests will be large too.

Third point, I have this strange feeling that I pretty know what sounds to be used in Sabah.  I came to know that in Sabah all my top notched sounds are very effective in almost all the towns.  In view of this there is a very strong ability to lure them into your BH new or old.

Fourth point, the use of specially formulated aroma "Super pheromone" seems to give a sure result in Sabah.  In Peninsular the pheromone might not be as attractive but in Sabah/Sarawak the super pheromone is proven.  In this case it will be much easier to lure those birds to be your permanent tenant.

Fifth point, only in Sabah the method of populating empty BH using Translocation technique are well promoted.  The state department of forest who controls the nest harvesting in caves have this special method to populate your BH using those cave swiftlet nests.  I was made to understand that they will be organising a seminar on this method in July 2012.

Sixth Point, in Sabah there are many caves.  Most of these caves have swiftlet staying.  Since the Forestry depatrment are having a full control on their harvesting timing, the number of birds are on the increase. This control action helps in the multiplication of the birds in the state in general.

Seventh point, beside caves on the main island there are also caves on smaller islands.  These caves can also help to contribute the increase of swiftlet in the state.

Eight point, Sabah have been on swiftlet nests maps for centuries.  It seems that their Gemuntong cave produce the highest quality nests in the world.  The income generated from these caves is pretty high and how I wish some percentage from these income be used to help swiftlet industries in the state.


I wish I can add more points but I think the above are good enough for now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Sir,

I am enquiring if you are interested in a potential JV to build swiftlet farm on my land in Keningau, Sabah. I have just started oil palm plantation there and my budget is very low at the moment. I have read your blog with interest and you have really good experience in this field. If you are interested, pls do call me on 0198589988 or email kalveet.sandhu@gmail.com