Monday, August 20, 2012
A Small BH With Little Nests !!!
I was given the opportunity to visit a BH about 20 feet x 30 feet x 3 stories high at Kota Sarang Semut, Kedah during this weekend.
A very interesting BH with very interesting problems.
After more than 3 years into operation this BH managed to secure about 40 nests. Not bad for a DIY operator.
Base on my inspection this BH could have done better if it was properly designed with lesser light polluting the main nesting rooms.
I was very surprised with the number of nests collected with such bright light inside the nesting room.
The light came mainly from the monkey house and those wrongly designed ventilation holes.
One very interesting observation made were where most of these nests were.
I was not surprised that the owner claimed that most of his BH nests were on those fake nests.
"Pak Harry, initially they did not respond to those fake nests. However after spraying them with your Super Pheromone, they started to occupy most of them."
The owner claimed that he have been following my blog for almost two years now and begin to realize that there was something not right with his BH.
The nests number stop climbing and he could not determine what was wrong with it.
The best was to get an outsider, someone he can trust, to drop by to check on what can be the possible reasons.
The only person that he was confident with was Pak Harry.
"Pak Harry, frankly I started this BH with zero knowledge and after following your blog I begin to learn so many things. I tried some of your recommendations and most of them works very well. However I personally believed that there are major problems than needs a knowledgeable person to analyse my BH problems. The right person is you."
I got this remark from him after I asked him how he came to know about Pak Harry.
As I mentioned earlier his BH could have done better if he knew on how to block those bright light from polluting his nesting rooms.
Other important issues were as follows:
1) The hexagonal tweeters was not properly located on the roof. He confessed that he just started using the hexagonal but give little attention on where to be located and precisely how high above the roof.
2) The external sound tweeters installed on the entrance window were not proper.
3) The monkey house tunnel seems to be constricted by two cement slabs about 2.5 feet wide each.
4) The light from the monkey house was not properly blocked. The partitions used were very loosely done and he was not sure where the door to bring those birds into the nesting room to be located.
5) The BH ventilation holes were wrongly designed. His contractor seems to have little idea on the right choice of ventilation holes selection.
6) The BH nesting planks looks very dusty and need some cleaning.
7) Nesting planks needs to be installed with additional wood crossings.
8) Current tweeters installation were not proper with no cluster tweeters, bar tweeters and kite tweeters to pull those birds into the nesting rooms.
9) The cable used were not the right type and the installer seems to have very little ideas on how they should be done. Lots of cables were hanging without proper clips securing them properly.
10) The number of fake nests were too little. Currently more than 30% of all the fake nests were occupied.
11) The number of internal sound tweeters were also too little and not to my expectation.
12) The BH was a bit too dry. The humidifier used were too little and not automatically ran.
13) The Amplifier used were not properly set and the volume was too low.
I pointed out to the owner that his BH should be okay if all my recommendations are taken seriously and correction done as soon as he can.
I will be happy to help in giving my advise on what I feel appropriate.
After submitting my visit report and talk to him about those issues he thank me for being so honest.
He knew about some of them but prefer to have some one that can confirmed what he knew earlier.
I hope he will attend to the BH quickly and I think he can double the nests number within the next 6-9 months.