Search This Blog

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Parit Buntar BH Began With A Bang !!!


The hacking of a new window about 3 feet by 6 feet started with a big bang.

The moment we started the owner looks worried that we will spoil his expensive BH.

"Ah Lee don't worry we know what we are doing and we are here to get those swiftlet into your BH."  I told him.

He smiled and said: "Okay Mr Harry I leave this BH in your good hand.  Please do what ever best for my BH. I trust you."

I assured him that once finished the BH will have a new lease of life and maybe if everything goes well he will have about 30 -50 nests within 10-12 months.

My sixth sense told me that I need to whack a new connecting door as my first step.

This totally new window will cut short the flying path from the entrance window into the roving and into the nesting room by half the normal distance.

All these while those birds that entered the monkey house could not find the connecting door thus they will only leave their bird shit marks on the roving walls and zoom off.

My second was the main entrance hole.  I wanted it to be larger to.

Current size was only about 2 feet by 2.5 feet.  I prefer it to be about 3 feet by 4 feet.

Main reason being those additional space will allow the installation of wood frame and 6 tweeters.

The gap between the two corresponding tweeters will be wide enough for three birds to enter at one time side by side.

Due to heavy wind I also came to a conclusion was to make the secondary entrance hole longer (side way).

By doing so those birds can have better time to manurvour into the monkey house even with a heavy wind blowing from the west.

They will fight the wind speed and when appropriate they will swerve into the hole.  The old size 2 feet X 2.5 feet was way to small.

Now the hole is about 5 feet long and 2.5 feet wide.  Much easier to manurvour as compared to before this.

A very interesting challenge and I am sure once ready this BH will show tremendous improvement.

Avery BH that I attended to have some generic problems and I think once we got used to the different environment you will find that there is a way around it.

A new connecting window started from inside the nesting room

Worker peeling the cement plaster out.

This view was from the roving room below the monkey house. The hole begin to take shape.

The main entrance hole that was too small.


Opening of the main entrance window by 1 foot (side) and 2 feet (down) 

Secondary entrance hole too small for manoeuvring during high wind.


Make it longer to 5 feet long.




Semi finished enlarged holes.



No comments: