Search This Blog

Friday, September 21, 2012

How I Estimate The Number Of Birds Entering A Successful BH !!!





I hope you can remember where this BH was from.

Have a good look at the BH and those who have been following my blog will know the answer.

This BH was renovated and put into operation about 3.5 years ago.

Now it become the most successful BH in this particular town.  It is in fact the talk of the town.

I remember being contacted by the owner of the four stories building and wanted my help to turn it into a BH.

At that time I was not financially strong so I brought in my golf buddy to be the financier.

We got the BH up within 3 weeks with two of the top floors being renovated.

We put them together and put it into operation after that.

The BH now seems to be the true magnet of the town.

One day the owner called and asked me about his BH and how to estimate the number of birds that entered his BH.

"Well let me try to estimate them when I have the time." I told him.

Yesterday, since I was a bit free I went to the town.

Set there beside the main road, read some newspaper, wait for the right time.

When the time come, about 7:15pm I took out a manual counter and start my operation.

Let me ask you how to click the counter when there will be at any one time more that 5-10 birds jumping into the entrance hole?

You cannot click and count them one by one.

What I did was to use a method that will allow me to click one time every 10 birds.

The first step was to get the counter to 000000.

Now to check the precise timing when they start to really enter the BH.

Usually most of those birds that are playing above the rooftop will fly in and soon after will fly out.

What I did was to count the number that enter and deduct the number that flew out.

I will do this from about 7:00pm till I reach the time when the number of flying in is higher that those flying out.

The moment the net number of birds entering the BH is 10 birds I will click one.

When this precise moment occurred there is no turning back.  You know for sure that the returning home time has begun.

Now you need to focus you eyes to the entrance hole and you then count the numbers one by one up to 10.

Every ten birds is one click.

Can you imagine what happen when it was about the peak time?

Just imagine more than 10 birds jump in one time?

You are in fact clicking the counter as if there was 10 birds every 2 seconds.

A very challenging thing to do but very interesting.

After you can no longer see birds flying in due to the sky turning dark you look at the counter.

I was amazed when the counter figure was 350.

Times ten it was 3500.

What about the number of birds that came home late?  You add about 5% more or 175 birds.

What about those that were inside the BH before the rest start to come back home?  You add another 5% of the total you counted or add another 175.

The total now is 3500+175+175 = 3850.

Not a bad number after only 3.5 years into operation.

So if there are 3850 birds entering my rough estimate on the number of nests inside is about 1,900 nests.

If all are in proper shape and weight the total kilogram of nest is about 16 kilos (1900/120).

How many kilos can this BH produce per month?

Just take one thirds a month or about 5 kilograms.

That is okay and with price of RM 2000 a kg you earn about RM10,000 a month.

Maybe you should carry out force harvest once a year, I told him.

A very lucky owner and I am very glad that he decided to convert the empty shop house into a BH.

Not many people are as lucky as he is.

No comments: