Search This Blog

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Look At These Large Maggots !!!


 Something very strange that I have never seen before.

 The size of those maggots that was inside the insect generating powder was huge.

 It was about ten times larger and I am not sure what flying insect produced such a big maggots.

 "It might be those from soldier flies." I commented.

 Yesterday I took some time to visit a BH in Karak, Pahang.

 This particular BH was revamped by me about four months ago and have been doing quite well even though it was not below the flying path. It was almost empty for about 1.5 years into operation.

 The owner met me somewhere in Kajang, Selangor and appointed me to be his advisor.

 I took the challenge and managed to turn around the BH within just four months.

 After about two weeks of revamping operation we put the BH into operation.

 Just three months the number of bird shit spots shot up to about 35.

 On the fourth month the number of nests observed was about 5+3=8.

 That was okay considering it was zero after 1.5 months into operation prior to my intervention.

 During my last visit I came about the idea of installing those insect generating system.

 I brought with me a set of those containers and a 5 kg bag of insect powder plus an insect starter.

 The mixing when smooth and we installed the container inside the monkey house roving area just below the entrance holes.

 After three week I came in and what we saw was something very strange.

 The whole floor, below the monkey house, there were lots of some moving creatures that looks like maggots about to pupate into flying insect.

 I have never seen these many and how come there were no insects, drosophila mrutu, any where in the room?

 I took a quick look into those containers and yes these maggots came from it.

 "Pak Harry what are these?" the owner asked.

 I was stunned and I wish I have the right answers.

 I do not know what it was. "It might be those soldier flies young one." I guessed.

 These are not the type of insect we wanted but they are just too big and I think that they can be a good source of protein for your Talapia fish or chicken.

Since there was not a single insect was found flying around I could not give the right answers to him.

I personally think it have to be from soldier flies but you never know.

 I told him to clean the floor up and perhaps the containers too.

 We need to stop the insect generation for at least one month before starting a new batch.

 This is to ensure that these same insects will not invade out insect generation soup.

 What happened in nature is something you might want to know.

 The stronger insects maggots once they invade the system will excrete a kind of slime that will kill their competitors.

 In this particular case the invaders slime kills all your drosophila maggots.

 They have won and overtake those drosophila maggots thus you need to be careful in your next mixing operation.

 Have a look at these pictures and learn something.

 This weird thing can happen to you one day.

Something weird on the monkey house floor?

Close observation it was a maggot???


This was where it was coming from.

No comments: