Search This Blog

Friday, October 12, 2012

Breeding Of Fruit Fly: Interesting New Discovery !!!


Wanted to share this very interesting new discovery that will help you in getting more fruit flies from your insect generating powder solution.

While in Bachok, Kelantan I was at a BH supervising a group of carpenters to install those nesting planks.

Before they finish with the installation works I kept myself busy with something that will help to bring more birds to this new BH.

What I did was to activate those insect generating powder.  My main aim was to activate about 0.5 kg of powder so that I can bring those insect to be the insect source for a larger mix.

I took about 0.5 kg and mixed it with about 2 litres of plain water.

Place the soup into a container and for some reason I placed two pieces of newspaper on the top of the soup.

The reason being I wanted to protect the soup from drying too fast and at the same time make a kind of shelter from being attack by those green flies (bow flies).

 After 5 days I was surprised with what I saw.

I never thought that those fruit fly can start producing within less than 5 days.

All these while I thought they need at least 8 -12 days.

The maggots were found crawling below the first layer of the newspaper and many crawled out of the tray to pupate.

I am not sure how those two layers of old newspaper helps to produce those maggot but I think it the idea of using newspaper over a prepared soup is great.

Have a good look at these pictures and a video clip see what you think about it.












No comments: