Search This Blog

Monday, March 11, 2013

Difficulties To Bring Birds To The Lowest Floor !!!

(A wooden BH in Taiping)

Someone that I met yesterday complained that his BH which was only 1 year and 1 month has more that 60 nests however not one at the ground floor.

"Pak Harry I don't understand why they refuse to occupy the lowest floor.  I thought that is the most ideal place in a 3 stories BH with the lowest temperature, high humidity and darkest?" he stressed.

I just smiled at him and fortunately he brought along his BH sketch.  I took a good look at his BH sketches and asked:

"Where do you opened the Lubang Antara Lantai (LAL)?" I asked him.

Note:  LAL referred to the entrance hole between one floor to the other.

His answer was as per my expectation.

"I used the zizz-zagg or S system.  The top LAL is on the left facing the entrance hole while the second LAL on the middle floor is on the right side of the floor."

That can be the reason why those swiftlet are not going down to the ground floor.

"Being a bird flying in total darkness they have difficulties to find your second LAL." I told him.

So what should I do?

Nothing much except to relocate your second LAL so that they are in a straight line at 45 degree angle.

A terrible mistake that you should have avoided from the beginning stage.

To carry out this hacking of your floor will be very tedious, dusty and noisy. You need to get the right contractor with proper hacking tools and before they dig the floor they must cover the affected areas at the top and bottom with proper plastic cover. You literally erect at canvas tent to minimise those dust polluting your whole BH.

Try to carry out the job during dry period when those birds are out searching for food and if you cannot finish within one day stop work at 4:30 pm and continue the next day.

If you are not very sure let me stop by next week or next month to identify the right location and provide you with the right thing to do.

He is a typical BH owner who never realized the important of putting the LALs at the right locations.

There are many others who are facing similar problem and I would like to stress to all newbies to be careful about this LAL misalignment issues.

Have a good day and if you need my service or advices about your current BH please call me at 017 7551318 for a cup of coffee.

I am here to provide my expertise to help owners whose BHs are not doing well.


No comments: