Search This Blog

Friday, February 21, 2014

They Responded Well To My New Sound !!!

This two clips shows how they are attracted to my new sounds.

 
 
The sound used was super tgi link to super vac.
 
Those swiftlet in the area seems to like it.
 
Will they populate the BH?
 
The question can be answered when the owner of this BH do the nests count two months from now.
 
 
My gut feeling tells me that something unusual will happen after applying the most effective aroma on the nesting planks.
 
Let us wait for 2 months and I will highlight its progress for us to share.
 
The nests inside according to the owner last count stood at 45 nests.
 
I am looking at an increase of around 20%-30% or 9-12 nests.
 
Anything extra will be a bonus.
 
I stressed to this BH owner that it is important for him to set a target.
 
Good example is:
 
"I wanted to get 100% increase within the next 12 months."
 
If my visit and the introduction of pheromone liquid aroma on his bh planks and new sounds played he can easily get the 30% and left with 70% to work for.
 
He need to list down what other think he can do to get the balance 70%.
 
Some that I proposed to him were:
 
1) Try to convert the swampy land just facing his BH entrance hole into at least one water pond.  The size of the proposed pond should be about the size of a badminton court.  Make it about 5 -6 feet deep and slightly slanting. The water pond will usually attract the attention of all swiftlet that are hunting for food in the area.  It will also produce marine breeding insects such as mayflies.
 
2) The second thing that I wanted him to install is a hexagonal tweeter.  It should be installed closed to the main entrance hole and about 2.5'-3' high above the roof.
 
3) The BH internal needs so additional partitions to further reduce those light.  I sketched for him where they should be located and where the doors should be opened.
 
4) One wise thing that I insisted for him to do was to explore additional method to use the pheromone once it shows a positive impact on the nests counts.  He must not stop its application but he must also think of all the methods to maximise its attractiveness.  Good example is to opt for a concentrated formula.  Maybe try to install an auto spray to make the smell of the pheromone fresh.
 
5)  I observed that the sound volume of his BH external sounds were not equal or should  say the one at the front is louder while those at the back were so low.  This can be due to a few possible reasons.  One was that be uses more then one type or]f tweeters on the same line.  The one with the least resistance will be louder while the higher resistance will be less.
 
6) Most of his BH nests were on those fake nests.  He should on a regular basis remove those fake nests that were used  more then one time.  This action will force those wild birds to nest on the nesting planks.
 
7) Since he has started to apply the pheromone, I suggest that he clean the floor so that he can observe the changes that is taking place inside.  Those old bird shit on the floor will not give him the right information.  They tend to hide the signs of new tenants inside.
 
8)  I was blunt to suggest the idea of force harvest.  "Why don't you force harvest your BH nests once a year?"  My idea is to make the nests number jump by at least 20-30%.  This method is a bid cruel but what else can you do since you badly wanted a quick population increase.
 
9) I was not very happy with the humidity inside his BH.  It was a bit dry but to install humidifiers will make the floor rot.  This BH floor is made of plywood.  The only way to go is to clean the floor and install those plastic mat.  It that can be done he might want to install those humidity controlled system.  My suggestion was to opt for those mist spray system using a diaphragm pump.
 
10)  Those lizard traps were well done.  It is time for him to replace them with a new set.
 
All the above recommendations can help to improve his BH nests population.
 
I wish he will follow some and one day he will be very proud of me.
 
Best of luck to him and I hope I will be able to come again to monitor his BH progress.
 
Call  me at 017 7551318 if you wish to get my opinion about your BH.
 
 


No comments: