Search This Blog

Swiftlet Farming Seminar On May 5 & 6th, 2018

Swiftlet Farming Seminar On May 5 & 6th, 2018
Calling for participants to this special Swiftlet Farming Seminar to be held in Sandakan, Sabah. You will be given the opportunity to learn and at same time to enter two BHs plus how to prepare MV3 aroma, Seminar will be held at Sandakan Hotel, Sandakan Sabah. For detail please PM 0177551318

Saturday, February 8, 2014

What Happen If You Forgot To Switch Off Those Light Inside Your BH !!!


(Pipe Water Blocked Due to Rhino Beetle stuck inside water intake)

A very interesting observations during my recent BH visit in Melaka.

Before starting my journey I told the BH owner and ask him on any specific things that he wanted me to check while I am at his BH.

"Pak Harry I was there last weekend and I think the water from all the taps seems to be blocked.  The pool below the verandah is totally dried and the pond on the rooftop was also having little water."

"Please check on the humidifiers.  I think the one on the top floor was not functioning properly."

"The weather is hot now days and if the humidifiers function properly the BH can be cooler inside."

With the above information I drove to the BH, about 2 hours drive from Kuala Lumpur, and quickly inspect the BH.

The moment I arrived I saw this black water tank cover on the floor.


Hmmm it must have been blown down from the top most floor (roof area).

It never come to my mind that this might be the cause of water not flowing into the main pipe.

I opened the data room door and enter the room.

I did not noticed anything wrong inside the data room.

It was cleaned and tidy and all the amplifiers were working and those Hager timers are properly on the right timing.

The sound from all the three amplifiers were okay.

Now to inspect the floors.

The nesting room on the ground floors looks okay but the humidity sensor was a bit on the high site.

There were a number of birds flying inside the two VIP rooms.

The moment I reached the staircase area I realized that the middle floor was with it light on.

Oh oh.  Not a good sign.

Quickly SMS a message to the BH owner.

"Brother you did not switch the light off on the middle floor".

There was not a single birds on this floor.  The bright light must have irritate those tenants staying on the floor.

They must have moved to the other two floors or maybe flew out to another BH.

The key point here is that you need to be careful before you leave your BH and make sure all the lights inside are properly shut.

Beside those bright light I found that the humidifier on the 2nd floor was running but did not have any mist out of the machine.

Main cause was the machine keep running since the power supplied was regulated by an auto humidity sensor.

The sensor was set at 85%RH while the room was below 82% RH.

Main culprit was the water from the main pipe were blocked.  No water was flooding the water container below the blowing machine.

The top most floor was okay however it was a bit too dry.  This might be why the BH owner wanted me to check on why such thing happen.

I told him on the phone that the manual timer was not suitable.  I changed the manual to digital timer.

The pool below the verandah opening was totally dried and those green algae were dried and turned into cracked leaves.

But the water was not flowing.

The water pool on the top most floor was also with very shallow water level.

The black water storage tank was without any cover since it was blown to the ground.

While conducting the inspection I noticed some dead rhino beetle bodies floating inside the tank.  Some were on the base of the tank.

I used my hand to check the pipe opening and guess what.

I can feel the pipe was blocked by those dead beetle.

Opened up the pipe and managed to remove those dead bodies.

The water start to floor and I described to the BH owner the pipe clogging was resolved.

Water started to flow and the water system was back to normal.

The storage tank cover was the main reason why those beetles can enter the tank and when some of them died, their dead bodies block the pipe opening.

It was something that I managed to resolve but I reminded the owner to perhaps to come out with a list of things to inspect on every trip to his BH.

The number of new nests was up a bit but it would have been more if not because of the hot weather now.

Took about four hours to inspect, unclogged the pipe, reset the timers, apply the pheromone, wet the floors, change the external sounds and sprayed those insecticide.

Log my visit activities into the BH log book.

Looking forward for the next visit.



No comments: