Search This Blog

Sunday, December 16, 2007

From Brunei With Love !!!

Well guys, I received an email today and its from Brunei Darulsallam.

"Dear Harry,

I live in Brunei,and have recently began reading your
blog and have become interested in the subject.

I note from your blog that you have been to Brunei.
Have you seen the swiftlets (white-nest) here, and are
they plentiful enough to even consider starting a farm
here?" Regards Victor.


First and foremost, I am very happy to know that I do have visitors from other countries including Pak Hen Mulia of Indonesia. They seem to enjoy reading my swiftlet farming blog. That was my objective. Yes I wanted to create reference or an online informations that is applicable to anyone who is keen to enter into swiftlet farming.

Well Mr Victor, I welcome U and I would like to assure U that there is no reason why Brunei is not an ideal place to start a birdhouse ranching.

These are my personal reasons:

1) Brunei is located in the center of the Malay Archiepelago. It have the same climate, rainfall, thick forest, lots of insects to feed the birds and I understand there are many caves that are used as nesting ground for these swiftlets.

2) While I was in Brunei, I did conduct a short survey by walking around the golf club and saw lots of swiftlets that I strongly believed that those are of white nest swiftlets. Since I did not carried out any birdcall test, I reserve to make any fool proof claim.

3) If there are many successful birdhouses in Miri, Sarawak (about 2 hours drive from Brunei border) I am very sure the are swiftlets in Brunei. Trust me the birds can fly at more the 120 km/hr. To reach Brunei they take not more then 2 hours.


If I were U, I will arrange to conduct birdcall tests at a few places to check the swiftlet population. The birdcall test is not that expensive and very easy to do.

Do the test at a few locations and decide your next course of actions.

Make sure U visit the local council to check on any rules and regulations , if any, before U event think of converting any of the shoplot there.

Be sure that they are allowed and if there are guidelines, follow them strickly.

I hope I have answered your question.

No comments: