Search This Blog

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Harry What Is Your Opinion On Raub ?

It is very common that people whom I met will corner me with a very simple question: What is your opinion about this town?.

Yesterday I was invited to this small town called Raub. A very small town with about 30 BHs and human population about 70,000 people.

The town is about 1.5 hours drive from Kuala Lumpur.

I was promised a special dinner, fresh water fish (tapin), if I should drop by.

Well since I was already in Bentong, 30 minutes away, I took the opportunity to meet this Mr.Y and his gang.

Three of them seem to spent hours reading my blog.

Immediately after meeting at the rest house, I was taken to view a BH in the center of the town.

I was surprised that there were at least 5 BHs in this row of shops alone.

The moment I entered the BH I can easily guess how knowledgeable the person who help to renovate the unit.

The temperature was 31.9*C, the humidity was 75%, the aroma was nothing to hurt your nose, the brightness was 10 lux, all ventilation holes were wide opened, the tweeters were less then 20 units, the data room was at the back of the house (you need to cross the main hall to the back), the direction of all those tweeters were wrong, the nesting planks were not with 30cm X 100cm box, all corners were installed with those rectangular planks cut from those nesting planks left overs and many many more things that boggle your mind set.

What surprised me was, the person who renovated the house claimed to have 10 BHs in his home town.

Blind me.

I just don't understand how he can be so mean to someone who put every dollar that he has on the project. After more then one year, there was not a single trace of nest markings.

Adding salt to his wound, other BHs, about two units away, were doing well (okay).

So what is wrong with the house Harry?

Oh Dear Mother Theresa, please help these people who put so much hope on those so call "consultant" and who failed to deliver.

I just could not stop shaking my head all the time when visiting the house.

I will try to get some sketches done and perhaps provide the owner with a list of things that he should do. Let see if those birds will start to come in.

After that we went to view a piece of land, about 5 kilometers out of town, then visited a cinema which was just converted to a BH, a row of 8 BH shops owned by people from Kota Bahru and lastly the promised dinner.

This was when the question on Raub was thrown to my lap.

Well, as I always says, in Peninsular Malaysia, most towns are having these sudden surge of swiftlet population. This might be due to many reasons and I am pretty sure Raub is no different as compared to Kota Bahru 15 years ago.

Those who have accumulate lots of knowledge about swiftlet farming will benefit from those wild birds. It's a pity that there are many, who started late and with little or no knowledge they will find it hard to be successful.

If they are serious and willing to learn, I am sure they can and will be successful.

I just hope my blog will contribute some information.

I do not want to claim that my blog is the best (on swiftlt farming) but perhaps it can be a very place to start on the right track.

No comments: