Search This Blog

Monday, September 22, 2008

How Loud Shall My Birdcall Sound Be?


More questions and they need quick answers.

Today I was asked about Bird Call Sound.

"Harry I was made to understand that you must not play your Birdhouse call too loud since the baby birds will be scared and will never come back. Is it true?".

Hmm...... a very interesting question and I think I need to carefully crack my head on this.

My answer:

It might be true but what do mean by birdhouse sound? Is it the internal or the external?

I normally will recommend my blog readers to use the following guidelines:

A New BH.

1) If you can gauge your sound from 0 (min) to 10 (maximum) I will ask you to play the external sound around 7-8 volume level. Main reason being your BH is pretty new and you need to catch those wild birds attention.

2) For internal sound, if you installed let say one tweeter per square meter, play around 1.5 to 2. This is due to the fact that there are so many tweeters and you do not need to blast those sound like those external sound.

3) If you happened to install tweeters playing external sound in the far end of your BH, I suggest that you go for like 3-4 volume level only for these selected tweeters. Main reason being you want the new birds that enter for the first time be dragged to the back of the house and stay. You see immediately after they passed the tweeters at the entrance hole, the sound will be gone. So the internal tweeters playing those external sound can take over.

An Old BH (With more then 500 nests).

1) Firstly I will lower down the birdcall sound to the minimum like 3-4 volume range. This is mainly due to the fact that your BH is now have enough birds to multiply by itself. With 500 nests, your BH can easily multiply 3-4 times that number a year. What you need now is to ensure that your BH micro habitat is perfect and no predators lurking in the house.

2) The internal sound should be lowered to 1.5. There are more then enough of your babies crying for food and water.

3) Those external sound playing at the back is not a necessity but if the owner wanted to continue he may go ahead. The volume should be below 3 since the entrance hole now is around 3-4 level.

I am very sure other people have their own opinions and if they do let us listen to their ideas and make sure they provide you with a logical explanations or reasons.

You cannot just swallow their ideas without using logic and your thinking cap.

No comments: