Search This Blog

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Getting Busy With Calls Asking For More Figs Trees !!!




More and more people are beginning to realize about the important of providing food for their BH tenants.

I might have been the initiator by writing so many articles about special figs trees and their relationship with those figs warps.  Perhaps the latest idea of installing insect generating barn was something that people begin to think on how to improve their BH nests population enhancement.

Yesterday received a call from an BH owner from Pantai Remis:  "Pak Harry I heard you are the greatest on the internet now.  I was recommended to talk to you about those figs trees.  May I have about 25 plants for my newly launched BH in Pantai Remis."

I told him to give me about three weeks to arrange for the young figs trees.

Following that another string of SMS from Tawau, Sabah.

He wanted a kilogram of figs fruits with insect inside.

"Pak Harry I think you should use DHL so that those insects have a chance to survive."

I told him I will work on that.  Firstly I need to scout for those figs trees around my area.  Usually I can easily find them at Jalan Ipoh or Jln Tun Razak, Kuala Lumpur.  The problem will be whether they are currently fruiting and matured enough with insects inside them.

I need to climb on those trees and squeeze a few of the fruits.

If there are insects I need to plug about a kilogram, pack into a container, wrap it with a suitable envelope and quickly get DHL to carry it across to Tawau.

I am not sure if those figs warps will survive but I need to do my best to meet someone request.

See this is not an easy life as a blogger and a swiftlet enthusiast.

Yesterday evening there were two enquiries about the insect barn system.

One was from Kuching and the other from Kuala Trengganu.

Both seems to realize in doing something with their BH.  They can no longer adopt the sit and wait technique but do something that will make their BH more attractive as compared to their neighbours.


In Teluk Intan Perak the two BHs that seems to have only 150 and 100 nests each now started the insect generating barn system and seems to be very excited about the probable outcome.

"Pak Harry I got some pineapple skin from a friend and left it at home.  How come there are more insects on it as compared to those that you placed in my BH beside the insect racks?"

Well the different would be on the height.  There will be more insect on the lower floor especially at you house where there are lots of insect generating sources.  Those drains and rotting fruit or kitchen rubbish from your neighbour's house might be the source of these insects.  At your BH on the 3rd floor, those insects find it hard to fly upstairs.

That was my answer.

Now days I will ask those who wanted to activate these insect barn system to breed some insect by them self.

What I told them to do was to buy some old and rotten pineapples and cut them into small pieces.  Place them in a few containers, make them a bit wet and sprinkle some yeast powder on the pineapple.

Put the container on the floor or on a stool at the back of their BH.  Cover it with a plastic layer but make some holes, these holes can be shut if required,  to pull those vinegar or fruit fly to come and breed inside.

Within less than two weeks there will be lots of these insects and by now there will be lots of maggots inside your rotting pineapple.

Once ready call me for the next operation where I will bring those insect generator system and the owner will cover those holes on the pineapple containers and carry them to their BH.

You can see the excitement on these insect breeding and I think more and more people to use this new and easy technique.

To me if the insect breeding can do something good for BHs I want to encourage them.

Make sure you do it properly, use the right materials and try to continue doing for at least 3-6 months.

If you carry out just for one month, it will not give the birds enough time to be your tenant.

For more information please let me know you interest by email me at harryswiftlet@yahoo.com or sms to 017 7551318.

I am sure I will be delighted to hear from all of you.

No comments: