Search This Blog

Thursday, June 7, 2012

It Used To Be A Top Entry But Now Side Entries !!!


A BH in Penang which was originally designed as a top entry type was converted to side entries with the erection of a monkey house.

The key question is which one shows result.

I was back in my home town Sungai Patani to accompanied my spouse to visit her parent.

In between my trip I sneaked out to Penang to visit a BH that was converted from a shop becoming a BH.

The strange thing that happened was the nest population starts to increase when the entrance hole was changed from top entry to side entries.

I was given the task to revamp the BH about a year or so ago and the house was originally using the top entry type.

After making the necessary alterations with VIP room, proper darkness inside, temperature under 30*C and implemented those wet floor system there was very little activities.

I was pretty unhappy about the progress and when discussing the whole project I put forward the idea of erecting a monkey house at the entrance area.

The owner was reluctant at first but I keep telling him that the only hope is to go to this final option.

After getting the monkey house ready with four entrance window about 2 feet by 2.5 feet each, the fate of the BH became more lively.

The number of tenants increased by more than 500% and I think they seems to like the house now.

While entering the BH in total darkness I managed to tape the beautiful songs sung by one of those birds.

The clicking sound used by these birds for navigation can be clearly heard in this sound.

What I think happened were:

1) The monkey house blocked about 80% of those light from contaminating the VIP room.  It was pretty dark but with the monkey house it was better.  This might be one possible reason.

2) After using a number of good sounds I settled with my modified sounds.  I have a very strong feeling that the two modified sounds were the main attraction of this BH. Tested in a number of places and the result seems to be outstanding.  This sound shall be my secret weapon.  Not for sale.

3) More than 80% of the birds inside the BH seems to be using those fake nests.  I used this BH as a trial centre to proof my theory about the usefulness of fake nests. They seems to be quite choosy and one type seems to be their favourite.

4) To attract more birds into this BH I plan to install a two racks insect generating set.  Each should be able to produce about 2 kg of insect per day. Will try this special technique for about 6 months and see how the nest will multiply. Will stop the system once the number of nests touches 100 pieces.

5) To ensure of proper sound system I have installed two units of solid state amplifier units.  The sounds seems to be okay and the number of birds responded seems to be very encouraging.

6) During my recent trip I installed about 50 more fake nest made of those soft gel.  I wanted to check on my theory that by using those fake nests I will be able to encourage those birds to build their nest on the strait planks areas.

The owner was not aware of my visit and those changes made.

I will inform him once those things implemented show results.


He must be busy with his works and what he wanted to know is how many nests are there in his BH?


No comments: