Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

BH Inspection In Taiping, Perak !!!


I met a new BH owner at Taiping Perak yesterday and he told me that he was looking forward to meet me for many months now.

His interesting story was like this.

He bought a two stories shop house in Taiping, Perak and it comes with a BH with about 30 nests. The lower floor was on a long term rental contract and the top floor was a BH.

This new owner was not sure what he make up or do with the BH but when he started reading my blog he could not wait for the day to meet me.

"Pak Harry frankly I bought this shop house because it was pretty cheap plus a long term tenant downstairs. I have no idea about swiftlet farming and your blog have been inspiring.  The day after starting reading your blog I told myself that I need to meet the author in person.  Today I have the opportunity and thank you for being so generous."

"You share nearly everything and your ideas are different from the rest who owned BHs."

I gave him a long smile and told the history of how I started my blog.

All in all I wanted to share my findings and discoveries.

The industry have been kept so very secret and due to that many newbies find that they could not make it even after a few years.

We need to break that attitude and the way to go is to open it up with as many information as possible on the net.

I urge more people to copy my method and share all the discoveries that they have gone through.  By doing this we might find the answers on how to be a successful swiftlet farmers.

If you start writing your own blog try to be as humble as you can and never criticise others.  Set your objective plus what you wanted to achieve and stick to that as your guidelines.

From my experience as a blogger, once you start to criticise others and try to be the champion you will usually get some followers in the beginning but later they will shy away from not only your blog but also you.

I took some time to view his birdhouse and told him some bad and good things about it.

1) His BH external sound was not working. The previous owner seems to have cut the cable  connecting the amplifier.

2) The entrance hole area was not well designed to lure more birds into his BH.

3) The nests (30 nests) seems to be too dry and upon checking there was no water from those taps.  The humidifiers were not running too.

4) Nearly half of those internal sound tweeters were not working.  All those 30 nests were located closed to a few tweeters that were still in operation.

5) The nesting rooms were opened type without any partitions.  They were a bit too bright.

6) The good news was that the nesting planks were clean and free from fungus.  This might be due to the water supply and malfunction humidifiers.

7) The number of fake nests were too little.  50% of the installed fake nests were occupied.

8) The numbers of internal sound tweeters were about 50 and that was a bit too little. I don't fancy those square tweeters, I prefer those rectangular type 2"x 5".

9) The nesting planks could be provided with a number of crossings.

10) He should have installed a few kite tweeters inside the nesting rooms.

11) The BH smell could have been improved by spraying those Mutiara Aroma.


He was keen in using those insect generator and I told him I will try to come out with something if I was given the opportunity to revamp the BH.

I need to come out with a proper report on the actual status of his BH and perhaps come out with a number of ideas of what can be done to bring more birds into this BH.

He was lucky to have discovered my blog.

No comments: