Monday, November 12, 2012
What Should Be Our Next Steps !!!
I was resting at home today when a caretaker of a JV BH in Gambang Pahang called.
"Pak Harry I have these observation made about our BH which you have revamped. Before your revamp works there were about 7-8 nests. Now you have increased them to more than 20 nests after just four months however I think the number of birds that entered our BH now is above 100. There should be at least 50 nests. What is your opinion?"
Well this is a very interesting success story which I am proud to put into my profile.
The revamp works resulted in an increase of the number of nests plus the number of birds entering the BH now after 4 months.
The only big concern is that how come they are staying but not paying their rental fee (build their nests)?.
My gut feeling is that the following reasons might be some kind of explanations:
1) The number is growing and these young birds takes some time to start their mating activities. They need time to mature and to find their life partner.
2) Not all those birds that we seen to enter the BH stays after the external sound stop playing. There must be a kind of explanation to this but we need to install those CCTV cameras and do the counting.
3) The possible reason why those birds flew away once the external sound were switched off can be due to the wrong internal sound being used or the internal sound is not loud enough.
4) There is a strong possibilities that many of those internal sound tweeters are not working or dead. We need to perhaps do some inspection on every tweeter in the BH.
5) If given the choice I would like to spray my "Super Pheromone" to make the nesting planks in the VIP rooms to smell more attractive. The use of "Super Pheromone" on every maintenance visit is now a must. Those new birds that entered your BH once they locate or smell those spots having being sprayed with the perfume will not leave their spot. They might protect it with their life. However once the smell is gone they might run to a new location. As such we need to regularly apply the pheromone until their have their nest build and lay an egg.
6) There is a possibility that the internal environment not correct. This can be due to the high temperature or too dry or there are some kind of predators inside (cockroaches, gackos and perhaps mice). These are not applicable in this BH but I just wanted to put this as one possible reason.
7) The internal sound might not be functioning properly. This might be due to its amplifier(s) that are not functioning properly. The sound that they produce at night might be gabble or sometime on and off.
8) At night there might be some invited visitors like owl. This is also possible but we need some kind of CCTV footings to check on this possible reason.
9) The mechanical equipment spraying those mist are faulty or making too much noise. This can be unusual but we need to check on this too.
10) The internal sound were not played on a continuous basis. This could be due to wrong timing or malfunctioned amplifier system.
11) The smell inside your BH might not be that attractive enough. Remember these new birds that entered your BH came from some other BHs that where they came from are smelly and wet. If your BH smell nothing but those cement that they don't like it. This is where the Mutiara Aroma to be sprayed on the floor and walls must be done on a regular basis.
12) Check if your nesting planks are attacked by those wood fungus. These fungus if not checked and removed will produce lots of spores this pollute the air inside your BH. These birds will never build their nest on any planks that are filled with fungus.
The best that we can do now is to arrange to install those CCTV cameras back (it was stolen by burglars about 3 months ago). I told the caretaker.
Once install we can start to closely monitor the birds behaviour before and after the external sound were switched of for at least a few weeks.
During my next maintenance visit we shall apply those pheromone and mutiara aroma.
We also need to check on any signs of owl, cockroaches, gackos and ants.
I shall bring a spare amplifier to see if the old amplifier can be upgraded.
I might also want to change both the external and internal sounds.
The good new from this article is that the revamp works carried out continue to improve the number of birds entering the BH.
Remember it used to be only about 10-15 birds and now 100 plus that entered the BH. More than 10 times the original number before I took the trouble to revamp it.