Search This Blog

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Something That Might Be Useful: The Stop & Go !!!



To me this is something the opposite of what I was expecting.

This BH owner was more surprised than me.

I was trying to help this newbie with his BH with 200 birds but with only 10 nests.

After asking him a few questions I think the reason why the number of nests was too low might be because he operated his external sound for 24 hours.

Yes he admitted to me that he learned it from his friend in Dungun, Trengganu.

Hmm I told him to try running the external sound up to 9:00 pm and see what happened.

He went home and followed my advise.

After about one month plus he was not happy with the shrinking number of birds returning home every night.

It went down to less than 150 birds.

What he did was natural.  Yes put back those external sound back to 24 hours.

After about two - three weeks the total number of birds jump up to 300 plus.

Beside the jumped number of birds reported home the number of markings seems to increase.

I was not in any position to suggest what was actually happening with his BH.

His opinion was like this:

"Pak Harry I think the rough noise produced by the external sound I used might be the sound of a colony's leader.  When these swiftlet listen to his voice they feel safe and comfortable. That might be the reason why the number jumped up by nearly 100%."

He might be right and I told him to continue monitoring both the total number of birds and nests on a regular basis.

If you look at this special incident you might want to look at the bright side.

The decision to stop the sound at 9:00 pm for about two weeks and after put it back to 24 hours might be something that we should adopt.

Just imagine that every time we do this the number will increase 100%.

If we do three times a year you might eventually experience nests increase by 300% or more?

I would like to try this out.

Those who wanted to try please contact me.

Let us research this technique and share the result.

The result indicated is superior to doing those force harvest.

Force harvest can only allow an increment of around 30%.  Once particular person who followed my advise manage to get 75% the maximum.

If this new technique can get better result why not we use the sound stop and go system.

I will continue to talk with the guy who happened to try this technique and let us go deeper into it.

We need to come out with a proper explanation why suddenly the birds increased to such a high level.


No comments: