Search This Blog

Monday, July 21, 2014

A DIY BH That Never Took Off !!!



Many BH owners thought that it is a piece of cake to own a BH.

This particular BH owner told me about the long history how he became interested and what happened after building one.

He was cock sure that building a BH is a very simple thing.

All in all because he was given two to three chances to visit BHs that according to him were doing well.

His biggest failure was not to fully understand the characteristics of swiftlet.

His DIY BH about 18 feet by 40 feet was with about 3 nests after two years into operation.

I met him on the first night when I was in Kuala Trengganu.

He accompanied his friend who happened to be my blog reader.

That night we stayed up till 2 am talking about swiftlet farming.

At first he was reluctant to invite me to his BH and by 2 am he made up his mind.

I did not forced him but I think he has nothing to loose.

The gamble he made by DIY the BH was his  problem.

Without much knowledge about the ins and outs of swiftlet farming he did a few major mistakes that need some immediate modifications.

The three story BH was with a tunnel about 10 feet by 18 feet top to bottom floor.

His big mistake was not having any partition to block those light from entering his nesting rooms.

The front part of the three nesting floors were left wide opened without anything to block those bright light.

I pointed to him the most obvious mistake.

Recommended to him to erect some walls that might help to reduce the bright light.

His main entrance hole was facing the east however the birds flying path is from the west.

I told him to give some thought of opening another entrance hole facing the west so that those external sound tweeters can pull those birds inside.

I wrote a long visit report for him to review and follow.

Keep telling him that the only way he can reactivate his BH is to be closed to me.

Call me once a while during the revamp works and if he need me to fly to KT for the revamp operation just let me know.

I also stressed to him the important of starting a sound library.

Currently his BH sounds were with his contractor and not safely kept in his computer.

Please look after your BH sounds properly because these sounds will be your ammunition to populate your BH.

No comments: