Search This Blog

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Felda Belara BH Inspection !!!


During the short visit to Felda Belara, I was given the opportunity to inspect a BH that was with about 800 nests.

According to the person in charge the BH was put into operation about 5 years ago (2010).

It was the first BH that belong to Felda.

Before this there were a number of rumors that claimed Felda operate about 30 BHs all over the country but it was not true.

This was what I gathered from the Project Manager of Felda Swiftlet Edible Bird Nest.

"Felda owned only one BH so far and the unit you just visit was the one" he claimed.

The BH dimension was about 20 feet width and 60 feet long.

Each floor was with roof height of about 8 feet.

It uses the monkey house type but rather unfortunate that it faces the west and not the east.

The direct result was that most of the nests were found on the highest floor.

The lower floors has little nests due to two main reasons.

First was due to the lack of the morning sun.

Bigger culprit was the location of the LAL between top and the second plus the second floor and the ground floor.

The location that was chosen to open the LAL was not correct.

On the third floor it was at the end of the floor while the one on the 2nd floor it was on the opposite end.

The only way to solve these two problems is to open a new second entrance hole facing the east and to open a new LAL hole on the top floor.

One very simple thing to increase the nests population is to reduce the floor darkness.

Currently the areas just below the monkey house on the top floor was with no partition walls to block those bright light especially during daytime.

If we can reduce the brightness on this floor I can see that the nest population can be easily increase by at least 50 %.

All ventilation holes that were left opened after the 90* elbows need to be quickly covered with extension pipe.

During my inspection I can clearly observed that nearly 100% of the internal sound tweeters were with a nest above it.

Unfortunately the number of tweeters were very little.

The nesting planks, after 5 years and never cleaned before, looks like in need of cleaning.

If these planks are cleaned and dried and soon after applied with Super Pheromone 2X, I can safely predict that all of them will become a magnet to draw more birds into the BH.

I would like to create at least one VIP room on each floor.

The door where the VIP room is erected should be facing the entrance door from the tunnel and the LAL directly.

I think the BH need at least one hexagonal tweeter to spice up the entrance hole.

The BH external sound seems to be focused at the entrance hole and not inside the nesting rooms.

This is a very common mistake that can be easily modified.

I gave installed my Super Babyking sound for the internal.

Tested my SuperVac sound and it draws so many birds to the main entrance hole.

I will make a list of recommendations to Felda via Iris and I hope they will take all my recommendations seriously.

I told the Site Manager that if all my recommendations are followed the nests inside the BH will double within 6-8 months.

He was fascinated with my conclusion and after looking at the SuperVac reaction with those wild birds he believed in what I said.








No comments: