Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Simpang Pulai Trip !!!


Yesterday was in Simpang Pulai Perak.

Received an invitation from a newbie who wanted my personal opinion about a piece of land which was offered to him to built a BH.

Met him for the first time at Jentantas Sungai Buluh and after a quick meal proceeded to Simpang Pulai. The trip was about 1.45 hours.

Upon reaching Simpang Pulai toll gate we turned in towards Ipoh town. We were at the site about 5 minutes from the junction.

He took myself into a Marble Cutting Factory. Stop his car inside the factory and told me that "Harry this is the place."

Hmm ..... interesting. I have not visited a marble cutting factory for years. The last visit was in Langkawi Kedah. That was about 25 years ago.

The cutting and grinding noise was quite disturbing but there were no smoke or dust in the air. Most of the grinding works uses water.

After about 15 minutes the owner of the Factory turned up and took us to the appropriate site where he told us that "Do what you want."

The site was okay. Closed to a old tin mining pool and currently being used to store those waste marble slabs,

I looked at the sky for any AF and there were some but unfortunately most of them were the Gigas. Occasionally those Martins will fly low finding their food.

Hmm...... not that encouraging. I told them no matter what the bird call test will determine the exact decision.

Since the time of arrival was 3.00pm I told the owner that we should drive to the nearest successful bird houses in the vicinity.

We went out from the factory area and proceeded to Ipoh main town. While driving out I saw a waste water treatment plant in a housing area. I quickly commented that there will be lots of birds at around 5:30 till 7.30 pm at the treatment pond.

We visited a few BHs and stop for Ipoh White Coffee. At around 5.00pm we drove back to the Factory.

Took the test kit and tried to lure those wild birds with Duress count.

Surprisingly not a single bird responded. After about 15 minutes decided to pack up and move out.

While on the way out passed the treatment pond and there were about 100 birds flying around it. I told the driver to stop and have a good look. Yes there were a mixture of Martins and those AFs. Not many but my prediction was right.

"Harry since there are birds here do you thing there is still a good chances?"

I sketched the area showing where the ponds, the targeted land and Ipoh town were. Unfortunately the land was not below the flying path from the pond to the town.

Well they learned lots of things from me and I am sure the trip, though not that successful, was worth the effort.

At least the got better ideas what to look for before pumping in their saving in a BH project.

I keep reminding them to try and find a better location. If p below the flight path where there are at least 250 birds during the 20 minutes bird call test. Once the test result was successful continue the test for a couple of weeks and try to choose the time in the morning evening and rainy days.

The most number will be the number to be used.

Never to be carried away and dump in their money without taking due considerations of all those surrounding I have explained to them.

They were very happy with my explanations and I am glad that I can be of help.








No comments: