Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Visit To Birdnest Processing Centre !!!

"Harry I would love to visit any processing center to learn a bit more about nest processing. Can you arrange for me please?"

The way he used the last word "Please" was a bit too heart broken.

My answer was: I will try my utmost best but before I bring you there let me have the permission to bring outsiders into this restricted zone.

Yesterday I drop by and deliver my consignment of raw nests. I was very pleased with the new floor area and the owner have improved the output to 3 kilograms a day.

The first lesson that he did was to talk about wetness of the nests delivered. He placed a container on the high precision digital scale and pour all my consignments, about 1.5 kilos of raw bird nests.

"Harry they are already short by 7 grams."

What do you mean?

"You see the total weight after deducting the Styrofoam container is only 1,493 grams and not 1,500 grams."

Oh ya, I can see that. That mean I already loose 7 grams.

"Yes Mr Harry. But you need to see what will happen in a few more minutes"

What do you mean. Are you saying that they will shrink further?

"Yes just look at the digital number on the scale. You see the air con environment gives you dry air and more water will be suck out of the consignment. You just see what I meant."

Oh yes they are coming down. Within 5 minutes or so the gramme now dip to 1491 grams. Wow if like this I will be loosing my pants soon.

"Okay now let me tell you a bit about the consignment that I brought in. If you observe carefully they are not from the same BH. This looks so smooth and clean while this are wriggly and dirty."

Hmmm...... this guy is truly genius. I took the two nests he held and observed those comments he made. Hmm .... he might be right. Okay let me check with the guy who sold it to me.

I call the seller and asked his comment. "Yes Harry they were from two different BHs."

This is truly exciting. What else can you tell me by just looking at the nests?

"Let see, it seem that one of the BH owner used too much water while harvesting. See this curly surface of all those from the same house?"

Hmm.... I took some good look and it was true that the one from one of the plastic bag was most irregular in shape. They are wavy and not clean or smooth finish.

"Harry, some of these nests were allowed to be used for more then one time. Look at the thickness of the seat inside the nests. Thick and very dirty. Some are with fungus."

What? You mean there are also fungus attacking the nests? I thought only those wooden planks.




"Oh yeh, they do attack those nests that are in a highly humid nesting rooms especially those sitting just below the water spray either the humidifier machines or those pipe sprays. You need to let those BH owners knows that keep the humidity below 95% but not below 80% and they must be well distributed in the nesting areas."

Thank you very much for your kind advise. I am sure those who read my blog with learn from this new found information.

Mr Process Sifu, how much will I will loose after the processing works?

"For this lot nothing less then 15%. You see some of your nests are filled with those wall paint and the nesting seats are too thick. When we process the nesting seats will be removed. They will looks like these when they are process (he showed me a plastic filled with broken nests)."



Wa leow weh, I am gonna loose lots of nest's weight and money. Rugi, rugi and rugi (Lost, lost and lost). Never mind this is my quest for information on downstream activities. Lost some is alright but what I gained are the knowledge to be shared with my blog readers.

Will continue .........................

No comments: