Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

With Dato Dri Ong Ka Chuan at Mesyuarat Isu Perusahaan Sarang Burung Walit !!!


Today attended an official meeting with Menteri Kementerian Perumahan dan Kerajaan Tempatan at Pusat Bandar Damansara Office.

Three days ago received a verbal invitation and could not turn down the offer since it has to do something about swiftlet farming.

I was not informed that Dato Seri Ong Kah Chuan was the Chairperson.

The only thing I know was that I need to voice something relevant to the industry.

My plan was touch on any subject that were not yet covered by those attendees.

By 10.45 am I was at the meeting room and Dr Reduan was already there and before the Menteri arrived there were more Government officers entered the room.

There were at least 20 people and to my surprise Dato Beh of Kedah was sitting beside me. Told him that I did cover something about him in my blog and he smiled and told me to do whatever I can to support the swiftlet industries. Beside Dato there were at least 6 others who are the president of the states BH owners associations.

The meeting was more like discussion and to let the Minister know as much as he can before he adopt the Garis Panduan.

Once the paper was over the Menteri gave the floor to voice their feed back.

Dr. Fathilah was the first to comment about the number of species of swiftlets (8 and not seven).
She iterated on the tests conducted by her department, the history on swiftlet farming in Malaysia and etc.
Dr Fathilah of Department of Vetarinar

The use of sonar as the alternative was spoken and after lengthy discussion it was decided the Health Department to evaluate on the repercussion to the surroundings.

Dr. Reduan was quick to support the industry. He assured the Menteri that the industry is bringing in at 1 billion ringgit a year, the chances of flu is minimum, the Kementerian should support the industries and so forth.

Dato Beh was personally invited by the Menteri to say a few words. His concern was more on the requirement to shift the current BHs from town areas to gazetted areas. It is impossible since the birds are wild and they are not chicken. If we do so 80% of the current export, which comes from town areas, will face a serious problems. Dato requested the Minister to re think on the matter. Dato Beh also put forward the idea that all BH owners must be made compulsory to obtain the association "Surat Sokongan" for them to apply their licences. In this way the house owners will be manageable.

I quickly seized the opportunity to voice my concerned on those bi-laws that are giving lots of unnecessary wastage's and problems to those developers who are helping to open or develop Eco Parks. My idea was that if the local council stop any new players then they should be given a fair chance to buy units that are built specially for Swiftlet Farming. There must be a separate bi laws for buildings that are constructed for Swiftlet Farming. Those exit signboards, sprinkler system, covered staircases, excessive number parking bays, areas to assemble people for fire drills and so forth need not be required. These items are redundant and the cost to remove them after obtaining certificate of fitness (COF) for birdhouse conversion are great waste to the owners.

The Menteri thanks all who have attended and gave their opinions and he indicated this is not a meeting a adopt the draft Garis Panduan but this is just the beginning. He wanted the Garis Panduan to be properly scrutinised and assured that the Billion Ringgit industry will not be badly affected.

I stayed back to have lunch with the Menteri and felt very happy being invited to play a small part in the swiftlet farming industry garis panduan discussion.
I was honoured when the Menteri asked, how I got myself involved with swiftlet farming?
"Dato Seri, I am married to a pure Chinese girl and what else can I do?"
My simple answer to him.






1 comment:

K L said...

Welldone Harry,

Keep up with the good work !