Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

After The Rain In Kuantan, Pahang !!!



I was in Kuantan, Pahang today.

My main purpose to visit the town was to check on the delivery of a number of items delivered to Sungai Isab BH which I was engaged to revamp.

The items reached the place in good shape and I took some time to determine what need to be done to revamp the failed BH.

It was converted at a cost of almost RM40,000 but after more than 12 months there was not a single nest.

The owner was very concerned over his dream BH status and ask for my help to do something.

I emailed to him my strategic plan and within three days he called up to say yes.

"Pak Harry I have banked in the first payment and you can come and collect the second payment."

After the final review of what I planned to do I proceeded to another BH that belongs to a Koop.

The caretaker was so excited to let me enter the BH again.

We drove to the site and when we opened the main door, all of us was so surprised with the number of swiftlet in the so called dead BH.

This peculiar BH was initially rented to a tenant who converted the top most floor into a BH.  After running the unit for almost 3 years, the owner decided not to continue his tenancy.

In view of the notice of termination he ripped of all the tweeters, the monkey house, the amplifiers and of course those nests.

I remembered doing a spot check counting the number of markings on the nesting planks.  Yes it was lucky that he did not remove all the nesting planks. There were at least 106 markings.

To our surprised the rooms were filled with hundreds of birds.

The moment the door was opened I can see lots of them flying all over the place.

What surprised the owner was that there were no tweeters or sounds being played neither the external nor the internal.

"Pak Harry how come they still enter the house?"

My answer to him was that once they said "I do" they will be your tenant forever.  Right now due to the heavy rain, it seem that many of them came back home early.  Some of them might be those young birds looking for a place to stay.

The rain plays a very big part in drawing lots of birds circling above all BHs in Kuantan town.

Once they smell the wetness in the air they will normally would like to start a family since during raining season there will be plenty of food for their chicks.

Kuantan weather have been hot and dry for many weeks and you can see the effect on those rubber trees. Most of them shade their leaves.

The caretaker indicated that the rain started about two days ago and a number of places were flooded.

I am very glad to be given the opportunity to reactivate the BH and will start doing so by next week.

This Swiftlet BH Makeover might be useful for us to learn on effects after the BH was "cold storaged" by a former tenant and we reactivate it.

Will write in more details once I get started.  There will be more pictures and what happened after 1,2,3,4,5 months.

Those who are from Kuantan and wanted to visit the BH please do call this number 017 7551318

Have a look at this video clip taken at the back lane of a row of shops.

No comments: