Search This Blog

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Stagnant Bird Nests Number Syndrome !!!



"Pak Harry, I owned four BHs and three are doing reasonably well.  My concern is the 4th unit. It seems that the nests numbers stopped increasing.  The first two to three years it was multiplying very well but suddenly stop increasing. Why and what should I do?"

A very interesting phenomena and I believed one of these day it will fall on you.

During my 1 1/2 days trip in Miri, Sarawak I was with two of my blog readers.

The 1st was a retired school teacher and the 2nd is working on his own selling machines and pumps.

The retired teacher owned one unit of BH in Miri town and wanted to evaluate the possibilities of increasing his BH asset to one or two more.

He wanted swiftlet farming income to accumulate so that his wife can stop giving those tuition classes.

His first task, I told him, was to get the 1st unit modified to get more of those swiftlet to stay.

My 19 pages reports about the unit outlined all the necessary things that he needed to carry out.

Currently the BH was very sick with the following typical sick BH:

1) Too Bright

2) To little tweeters

3) No VIP room(s).

4) The flow of birds from outside into the nesting room was awkward.

5) He needed to increase the number of fake nests since nearly all (about 10) of those 180* fake nests were taken.

6) The external sound tweeters needs to be increased and rearranged.

7) Both the external sound was too simple and what he needed was my top notched sound like "KingKong".

8) His internal sound was horrible.  I changed it to Baby King.

There were many more that I recommended for his to change and I am sure he if he follow my advises he will improve the current low nests number.

The next person owned 4 BHs in Miri and planned to set up one more unit in Mukah.

"Pak Harry I owned a piece of land in Mukah and I planned to build a proper BH there."

He started his venture into swiftlet farming about 4-5 years ago.

His four BHs are doing reasonably well but one of the BH is having those stagnant nests syndrome.

"Pak Harry, the nests was increasing like 30 - 50 nests a year and when the number reaches 300 it stop increasing.  Can you tell me why and what I should do to reactivate the growth?"

My mind was focusing on the number 300.

If his unit already reached 300 nests, his yearly production of those young birds will be about 1800 young one.  This number comes from the fact that each nest will produce 2 babies per season and there are 3 seasons a year.

Hmmmm ....... what can be wrong?

Where have they have flown to ?

Why are they not staying?

May be the BH was too hot or maybe the house was too dry?

Maybe he cleaned his BH floor and remove those bird shit?

This is where you need to think deeply on what can be the possible reasons and can you do to eliminate this so called "Stagnant Nest Syndrome".

There must be some clear reasons why they are not coming back to start staying with their own parent.

I told him to let me have a look at the BH but unfortunately he was busy with some Japanese visitors who happened to supply those specially designed pumps for prawn farming.

What I told him was to perhaps look into wetting the floor more.

He should consider to conduct a force harvest once a year.

He also need to change the external and internal sounds.

He might consider the "Positive Regeneration" technique.

Before I left I was taken to the best sea food restorant in Miri and the fresh prawn from Mr Tan farm was served for the six of us.

He purchased three of my recommended sounds with no hasitation.

"Pak Harry I am glad that you drop by in Miri and thanks for all the advises."

No comments: