Search This Blog

Saturday, May 28, 2011

What Can Be The Possible Reasons Why Those 500 Birds Not Building Their Nests !!!

"Pak Harry, after attending your Seminars and a few changes here and there, I managed to attract about 500 swiftlet to stay in my BH but I only have about 60 nests.  My problem is how come these birds are not building their nests?"

Something he added:  "Prior to attending your seminar my BH was nearly empty after more than 1 year in operation. You are my Saviour. Frankly at that time my ass was like sitting on a hot plate."

Something unusual that happened to one of my obedient disciple who have attended a number of my swiftlet talk from Temerloh, Pahang.

"Pak Harry I need your help to come and visit my BH and tell me what can be the possible reasons."

He was lucky since I was on the way down to Kuantan, Pahang to carry out routine maintenance on one of my JV BH.

On the way back to KL today I make a detour to Temerloh to see what can be the possible reasons.

The one and half story BH was on an agricultural land just beside those high voltage power line.

The house was made of those red bricks single layered and with no plastering inside and outside.

The entrance hole was facing the west.

The birdhouse dimension was approximately about 20' X 60'.

After doing some thorough inspection my conclusion was something that is nothing unusual.

1) The house was a bit to hot and little airflow. The heat was coming from the wall.

2) The nesting room was a bit too dry.  There was no humidifier or mist maker or water containers or drain or wet floor.

3)  The owner admitted that he was not using the right internal sound but ever since he changed to NBU (NoBodyButYou) the birds has begun to cling to the nesting planks.  Prior to this they were flying all over and not taking position.

My recommendations to him, if he wanted to see more nests were as follows:

a) He need to modify the internal sound so that the sound be made of more of the baby sounds.  Currently he was very sure that the sound I called NBU is effective.  However the sound is a bit to heavy with matured birds sound.  What I suggested to him was to modify the sound to insert more of the baby noise in between and let the ratio be 60% baby sound and the rest matured sound taken from NBU.

b) He need to reduce the heat coming from the side wall(s).  The best is to erect some kind of wall to prevent direct sunlight hitting the external walls.

c) The air in the house was a bit too stiff.  He need to figure out a way to make the air flow.

d) He have yet to introduce any humidifier.  The nesting rooms were a bit too dry.  My recommendation was to go for those 12 eyes mist make unit to be installed inside a VIP room located at the back of the floor.

e) I was very adamant about erecting walls at the back portion of the nesting room so that it will form a VIP room.  He can in fact erect two VIP rooms.

f) There was something that I can easily guess that he entrance hole was facing the west.  There were two nests very closed to the entrance hole.  The reason was that they need to go out early.  He need to open an exit hole at the opposite side of the entrance hole hole to allow the morning light to enter the house.  The hole must be not less then 1.5 feet wide and 3 feet long.

g) The hole leading the birds from the monkey house into the roving was a bit too small.  I advised him to make it slightly larger.  The best is 4 feet wide from the staircase but it would be better to widen it to 6 feet if he can.

h) If the opening of the exit hole and the inter floor area causes too much light he might need to cover up the opening that he opened connecting the roving and the nesting rooms.

j) I managed to tune up his amplifiers.  As usual the knobs controlling the treble, mid and low were all not right.

k) currently nearly 90% of the nests (about 60)  were build around the nest planks crossings.  I advised him to increase the crossings to quadrable the chances of getting more nests inside the house.

l) I continued with asking him to put extra effort in pushing those birds to start a family.  The best was to install at least 200 fake nests laced with duck egg white plus honey.

The owner was very happy with all the comments I made and he insisted to have a cup of coffee at one of the coffee shop in Temerloh (The Patin Fish City).

I came to know that he will be attending my seminar for the 4th time, this July 2nd 2011.  He is exceptional and I offered him to be my first swiftlet faming seminar regular club.  His fee will be 50% of the offered fee of all my future Swiftlet Farming Seminars after the July seminar.

"Pak Harry thank you very much for your very kind offer. Everytime I attended your talk I learn something new and when I implement them my BH improves."

(His SMS comment after reading my blog about his BH:

Pak Harry U r a super star....Tq n c u v soon....J n V.

I just read it n assimilated all solutions presented in te report. Am going to te site now to start correcting those flaws... Tq... U keep well... We need U Pak Harry.)

No comments: