Today inspected a small BH with not a single nest after into operation for more than 12 months.
The "Consultant" went missing and I think he has not a single clue what swiftlet farming is all about.
The BH was a big disaster and horribly designed.
If you let this BH to run for another 10 years it will still be empty. That is how bad the BH was designed.
I just don't understand how this person can have no guilt after making the owner pay to him all the money and not a single birds came to stay.
He have not a single clue what those birds likes and dislikes and dared to erect a BH.
While talking to the owner I make a serious comment that he should make a police report.
These were some of the wrong things inside:
1) The BH size was a bit too small. Once it is small it will be very difficult to reduce the light to the minimum.
2) Beside those light from the main entrance hole this BH has two types of air ventilation holes.
Beside the standard 4 inches pvc pipes the consultant also install those flower bricks ventilation hole that brought in so much light into the nesting rooms.
2A) The main entrance hole was reduced to about 1.5 feet wide by 10 inches high. This was a bit too small.
3) The BH is with a single wall. This is a big mistake because the BH nesting room temperature will easily hit above 34*C. If this BH has any number of birds inside and if the room temperature hit 34*C its tenants will leave.
4) There were signs where the BH has been regularly visited by owls. The number of shit markings and the smell is not helping the BH at all.
5) The nesting planks were widely spaced about 2.5 feet apart while a good BH should used about 1..25 feet apart.
5A) There were no wood crossings used. Not a single of them were deployed.
5B) I was very unhappy that there was no fake nests too.
6) The number of external sound tweeters were not more than 8 pieces.
7) No hexagonal tweeter on the roof top.
7A) The LAL was wrongly positioned and very small.
7B) There BH was very dry with not humidifier provided.
7C) Not a single partition on both floor to block those bright light.
8) The number of internal sound tweeters was less than 20 pieces.
9) Both the external and internal sounds were not proper.
10) One big issue which I do not wish to inform the owner is the high voltage cable line just above the BH. The magnetic field generated by these high voltage cable might effect those birds GPS system and might misguide those birds.
All in all I was very upset to know that are so many of these low knowledgeable "Consultants" or "Sifus" who are out there to damage the industry.
Just imagine if this same consultant is currently erecting one similar BH a month all over the country.
Oh mam this is no good.
I hope if you should read this article and is about to built your own BH please be more careful with your investment.
If you need any help of advise please call 017 7551318
Right now I am stuck with the unfinished BH and the owner is not willing to fork out any extra money to help the BH.