Search This Blog

Monday, January 13, 2014

Lots Of Bird Shit Spots But Many Seems To Be Drying Up !!!


 A frantic call from a BH owner after 4 months operating his BH after my revamp operation.

"Pak Harry I need you to come and visit the BH.  I think something is wrong with the BH." the owner called for my assistance.

I made some plans and managed to squeeze my tight schedule.

I drove to his BH and waited for him.

Just before I arrive at the BH I sense something was not right with the external sound.

One of the entrance hole was giving out this breaking sound while the second entrance hole was a bit to low in external sound volume.

While waiting I took a short tour to the back.

Hmm nothing was done to those rubber trees.  I asked the owner to chop off the trees.

He came and not a very nice looking face.

I greeted him and soon after asked his attention on the external sound.

Initially he could not make any comment but after asking him to listen to sound carefully he than told me that the sound is breaking.

Yes that was something to do with either the sound in the thumb drive or the amplifier playing the sound.

The first thing I did was to check the amplifier and it was true the amplifier was faulty.


He took out a spare amplifier and I connected it with a brand new sound.

Both the entrance hole got my fresh new sounds.

He was so eager to ask me to inspect his BH and opened the main entrance door.

The interesting thing that I observed were the followings:

1) A number of bird shit spots were found on the ground floor.  This is something that I predicted after opening a new LAL hole just below the staircase connecting the third and middle floor.  Prior to this not a single bird flew down.

2) The number of bird shits were found to be the highest on the middle floor and top most floor.

3) Most of the shit spots were inside the VIP rooms.

4) The top floor spots seems to be drying up and giving the impression that there was something not right with the environment.  I predicted that it was due to the external sound (remember breaking sound?).

5) Most of the shit spots were below the tweeters both the external and internal.

6) The bigger in size were those below those cluster (4 tweeters at each spot) tweeters.

7) All these spots even though big in size but no sign of any feathers on them.  To me this translate that they are not making love.  No making love means no nest.

8) There was no owl shit signs on the floor especially closed to the entrance windows.  This is a positive sign.  This BH used to have lots of owl feces.

Overall the BH shows more bird shit spots on the floor as compared to before being revamped.

The only thing that I was not happy above is that they are not making any nest.

Why !!!!!

Well if I can talk to them I would like to ask them what more do they wanted me to do?

What I suggested to the owner were something like this:

a) He need to increase his knowledge more about swiftlet farming and how to interpret those things that he observe on the floors and the ceiling.

b) He also need to identify if his sounds are okay.  Both the external and internal must not be disturbed or stop operation for any what so ever reasons.

c) He do have a CCTV camera system installed with 4 cameras running on 24/7.  What I asked him to do is to optimize the pictures collected.  Try to download every friday from 7:00pm - 8:00 pm and audit how many birds were seen entering the two doors.  He need to record them and see its progress.
If the number stop increasing he need to act.

d) I also told him to start storing all those external and internal sound inside his computer.  If he is smart he can actually change the sounds as and when required example once the birds entering number is stagnant or reverse.

e) He also need to be more proactive.  How above applying those super pheromone on a regular basis.  I left a canister and he do have one more at home.  Why keep them?  Spray la !!!

f) The enhance the nest erecting I told him to focus on those spots above the bird shit spots.  Climb the ladder and spray the pheromone on those spots where those birds are roosting at night.

I hope he will be more active and don't wait for me to rush up and down to populate his BH.

I have done my best and now he need to take more initiative to get those birds already staying to make love to each other.

I stayed back until 8:00pm to view the number of birds entering and I was very pleased with the numbers.

Both the back and from entries were doing well.

No comments: