Search This Blog

Sunday, January 12, 2014

A Two Years Old Two Stories BH With Only One Miserable Nest !!!

(Two holes one on the wall and one on the roof of its monkey house)

Its location was perfect, high on a hill surrounded by Palm Oil plantation.

Lots of birds in the sky during my visit.

"Pak Harry if you come in the morning the sky will be dark with swiftlet" one of the guy told me.

So the good question here is how come only one nest after more than 2 years into operation?

It does not make sense at all.

Well let us analyze from both the outside and inside.

This interesting story which I would like to share will all my blog reader is about why even with the most attractive location no birds (except one couple) wanted to stay in a two stories BH.

I received a call about a week ago from a BH owner whose BH was revamped by me and my workers a few months back in Cenih, Kemaman.

"Pak Harry I gave your contact number to a neighbor and I think he wanted to give it to a Palm Oil Estate owner nearby." he told me.

Just four days after receiving the above call I was contacted by an unknown person asking me if I am free to visit his BH.

I fixed the date and time and gave him my inspection fee.

After about two hours he called to confirm the visit.

Yesterday I drove up to this 4,000 acres of Palm Oil estate and met the Manager.

We sat for a few minutes and straight away was taken to this nicely erected BH but with no birds inside.

"Pak Harry we have this BH for two years plus and nothing seems to be working.  In the beginning plenty of birds but after an owl entered the BH became like dead."  the confession.

I ask them to open the main door while I took some time to survey from the outside.

A very nice BH with its entrance hole facing this huge palm oil plantation and lots of swiftlet all over the sky.

Wait a second, I focus my eyes on the entrance hole again and I was surprised with the steel bars on the window frame.

The bars were so closed and I told myself if I am the swiftlet I will have a very tough time to fly in between the gap.

I think the too small gap my be the reason why the BH remain empty.

So how come they said there are a few birds inside?

I discovered later that there was one more opening on the Monkey House roof.

After my inspection works I list the following reasons why the BH remained empty:

1) During the visit the BH was running with only one amplifier.
     This amplifier runs the external and internal sounds.

2) The main entrance hole was filled with bars preventing those owls but at the same time prevent swiftlet from coming in.

3) The top floor was too bright and you can see the back wall from the roving area below the monkey house.

4) The LAL was wrongly located and it will be very difficult to attract those birds to find the ground floor.

5) The main entrance hole has only one small tweeter playing the external sound.


(Only one Tweeter)

6) The BH was made of single wall.  This will be a very tough problem during hot season.

7) Ventilation holes were made of flowered bricks.

8) A number of the nesting planks were filled with fungus.

9) All the humidifiers were not operation.
 

Overall I told the owner that he has a very nice BH however the person who constructed the BH was with little knowledge about swiftlet.

If nothing is done this BH will remain empty forever.

I will prepare a full report on what he should do and I gave him the assurance that within less than 6 months he should be able to tell his board of directors that his BH is alive with lots on birds staying.

After presenting my observations they wanted me to pack my bag and my boys to quickly repair the BH.

This will be something interesting and I hope I can get some of my blog readers to come and visit during my revamp operation.

Please call and give yourself a chance to learn on how to improve your own BH.

Come and enjoy the nice view and learn with me.

Call me at 017 7551318 as soon as you can.

Remember, there is no one in this world who is so willing to invite you to come and learn something that you are passionate with.

Let me be the one.........





No comments: