Search This Blog

Sunday, January 5, 2014

What Happen When Serinti Bird Came In As Your Tenant ???



I could not help but gave the owner a surprised remark when he send the above picture.

"Pak Harry, what should I do with this nest found in my BH during my last visit?" he asked.

His BH is in Sabah deep inside a jungle full of birds that are not Facifagus.

So when a BH is erected and many swiftlet came in and out of the house the Serinti bird took a good look inside.

What make me very surprised was where the Serinti choose to erect his nest.

Just above a fake nest made of styrofoam and prior to that the same place was used by swiftlet.

You can see a layer of swiftlet nest on the same spot but was abandoned due to some reason.

I suspect the spot where this styrofoam was installed was at the front part near to the roving area where the light was bright.

My assumption is based on the followings:

1) Serinti birds cannot fly in total darkness since they do not have the echo location ability.  With this special gift they have no choice but to built their nest at bright areas.

2) Swiftlet have this special gift and usually they prefer to have their nests in dark areas.  In this particular instant the place was too bright and they finally opt to abandon the spot and move inside. Yes they did start building but later feel unsafe. 

3) The BH owner applied Super Pheromone spray on this styrofoam.  That might be the reason why those swiftlet love the spot in the beginning.

He wanted to remove the nest however I asked him to carry out my experiment.

I asked him to spray the pheromone again on it.

See if those swiftlet will chase the serinti away.







No comments: